Gibson Brands Forums

SGJ Pickguard or No Pickguard?

SnakePlissken

I've seen a few SGJs and PLJs in the not to be named Walmart-esque guitar shops with light to moderate wear marks already on on them; so I'm deciding whether or not to install a pickguard.

Actually I wasn't as worried about the finish on my Chocolate Satin SGJ as much as I was about the Gold Top LPJ I also picked up, however I felt the LPJ was missing something ... kind of like The Dude's room after the Chinaman peed his rug, so decided to install a Black Pickguard on the PLJ to pull it all together and now it looks like it's supposed to.

On the other hand I really love the clean look of the SGJ without a pickguard but I don't want to wear out the finish in the spot I rest my pinky finger on it's body when I'm playing leads.

I have a BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X that has a clear coat a mile deep and it's already scuffing up in the spot I push against it with my pinky finger.

I had a spare screen protector for my phone laying around so I decided to try it as a solution. I thought it might not cling too well to the satin finish of the SGJ, but I figure I'd give it a shot; after three solid days of playing it seems to be working out pretty well. I'm going to put one on the Mockingbird too.

Now at least I have a solution until I decide whether or not to permanently install a real pickguard on the SGJ.

While I'm deciding what to do, I ordered a 3 pack of iPad Mini Screen protectors for 3 bucks from BestBuy, I want to cut out a custom shape to match an actual SG pickguard rather than the shape of an iPhone.

I'm going to leave the screen protector on for as long as it holds up and take it from there, it might not be a long term solution but at least I wont be wearing out the finish it on while I'm figuring out what to do.

I find SG's—of any model—naked without a pick guard. I have posted extensively here regarding this personal opinion and preference! [laugh] See my avatar for the results of my own custom pick guard endeavor. I am planning on buying a 2014 SG Special in the coming months. That model, too, comes sans pick guard. I will be installing a pick guard on her!

So, in short... yes! Do it! [thumbup]

That is awesome. How did you get that pickguard, darling67? I have a chococlate SGJ and I wasnt considering a pickguard on it until I saw your pic. I think cream would go nice with it.

ek11sx,

I had to trace a pick guard template and send it to Virgil at WD Music. I used one of his pre-made SG pg templates, and modified it to fit this 50's Tribute with the P-90's. The entire endeavor ran me about $50.00(?).

… and thanks! I am very happy with the results, too. I actually posted a poll here to get people's opinions, and I am glad I did. I was about to get a black pg, but I received enough "cream" votes and it swayed my decision.

ek11sx,

I had to trace a pick guard template and send it to Virgil at WD Music. I used one of his pre-made SG pg templates, and modified it to fit this 50's Tribute with the P-90's. The entire endeavor ran me about $50.00(?).

… and thanks! I am very happy with the results, too. I actually posted a poll here to get people's opinions, and I am glad I did. I was about to get a black pg, but I received enough "cream" votes and it swayed my decision.

Doesn't the SGJ have a standard humbucker pickguard shape? Meaning no special order required, right?

Doesn't the SGJ have a standard humbucker pickguard shape? Meaning no special order required, right?

Ahhhh, you may be right!

SG Junior Pre-Cut Pick Guards

In this case, you could just buy the pick guard and install it yourself. I may install it myself next time 'round. A drill and a screwdriver is all you need really.

No those are Juniors above. The humbuckers are slightly closer on the SGJ, so a drop in fit of a Standard SG style pg will not fit. Also there is no space between the neck and pick-up since its 24 frets on the SGJ.

So you can alter a pre-cut 61 style PG or make a template and cut one out of raw material.

Its been a year now the SGJ has been out, its possible pre-cuts are being sold by now. I really don't know.

The 61 precuts have two screws between the pick-ups. This is a problem since both sides of the PG need to be cut close to the screws to fit a SGJ. A early 70s SG style PG is probably a better idea though I haven't tried one. They use one screw instead of two between the pick-ups. They also place the neck Pup against the fret board.

Thats awesome, im not sure how i feel about drilling holes in my guitar though

I hear yuh. Once you commit to a pick guard, the holes are there for good. It was slightly painful watching the guitar tech/repair guy drilling holes and twisting the screwdriver into my 50's Tribute.

If you go ahead with it, be sure to post "before and after" pics! [wink]

Archived