Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 1959 vs tribute

Bluesidae

2 very very nice guitars imo. i like both types of pickups, the 57s and the burstbuckers.

something to consider in addition to the play, condition & price differences (assuming they are both used), is the neck shape.

the 59 has the fatter 50s neck while the tribute has the slim 60s neck.

Good point about the neck. I like the neck on the Tribute +. I have the BB Lucille. Neck seems big to me. Would the 59 be similar?

i'm not familiar with the neck on that lucille, i wish i were though! [woot]

$800 seems a bit steep for the 59, but it is a true limited edition epi. i've seen the slash lp sell for ~$700, so i'm with you mostly on the price, if it's mint with all the case candy,etc, i would not want to pay more than $600-$650.

so you'd be paying prolly close to ~40%-50% more to get the 59, if the owner will even deal on price. figuring you can get a tribute + new for $515 and there a used one currently on ebay at $375, it will go for more though. figure ~$425 if there's no feeding frenzy at the end.

No. It went quick so he must have got something close to his asking price. Good for him!

yup, i agree. too bad there's no rhyme or reason with epi limited editions. at least it seems that way with my limited experience with them. heck i watched an epi pelham blue es-355 lmtd ed sell for over list recently on ebay- over $707! it wasn't used per se, but it was sold to a person who then sold it @ ebay. heck, you can still buy those at retailers for $600-ish (gotta call though, street price is $700 ;-). and they are not really limited editions, epi will crank out as many as they can sell within the time frame alloted.

are you lookin gon ebay for a tribute plus? the one i mentioned above looks pretty good, it's black cherry.

Archived