Gibson Brands Forums

How should a Maestro Vibrato tailpiece fit?

Stu-bud

I have a recurring problem with the Vibrola on my SG (and I guess a common one); the spring steel on the tailpiece is angled, such that my tremolo arm sits fairly high off the body. And, it won't rotate to the rear, to sit above the volume/tone controls.

I have bought 2 replacement vibratos, one aftermarket, one a Gibson, and both have the same problem--although the spring steel is correctly bent, for a proper angle on the tremolo arm, the spring steel sits flat against the body of the guitar, effectively locking the tremolo so that it will not work. See the pic below. This is the Gibson tailpiece. Note how the spring steel rests against the countertop surface, holding the tailpiece bracket about 1/16" above what would be the mounting surface. So, this tailpiece, when screwed down, actually pre-loads the spring steel.

I am in the process of returning and exchanging the Gibson tailpiece. Am I correct that this tailpiece is defective?

Thanks much, Stu.

016_zps5ffb3a02.jpg

My SG "Original" came, from the factory, with a defective Maestro, with all

the characteristics, that you've mentioned. I took photos, sent them, along

with the serial number, and my dealer name/location, to Gibson CS, via e-mail.

Duplicate photos, and information was also posted on the Gibson Repair forum!

Got an immediate (within 24 hours) response, and a new complete Maestro unit

was sent to my dealer, where it was installed, and a completely new "set up"

was done, as well (more out of percaution, than actual "need")...while I

waited. Gibson, gave me the option, of a new replacement guitar, or the

new unit, to be sent to me, directly...or, to my dealer. I chose to have

it done, at my dealer. I didn't want a replacement guitar, as I LOVE the

one I have, in every other aspect. In the end, it all worked out Great!!

The replacement Maestro, allows full rotation, of the handle, at it's proper

height, in both user position, and when positioned out of the way. Good

clearence, of the body, when swung back against the side of the tailpiece.

There was a "short run" of "bad spring" Maestro's, apparently. And, I suppose,

like any mass produced item, they can still show up, from time to time.

But, in my case at least, Gibson was a BIG help, and did so, very quickly.

Good Luck, to you, as well!

CB

I have a recurring problem with the Vibrola on my SG (and I guess a common one); the spring steel on the tailpiece is angled, such that my tremolo arm sits fairly high off the body. And, it won't rotate to the rear, to sit above the volume/tone controls.

I have bought 2 replacement vibratos, one aftermarket, one a Gibson, and both have the same problem--although the spring steel is correctly bent, for a proper angle on the tremolo arm, the spring steel sits flat against the body of the guitar, effectively locking the tremolo so that it will not work. See the pic below. This is the Gibson tailpiece. Note how the spring steel rests against the countertop surface, holding the tailpiece bracket about 1/16" above what would be the mounting surface. So, this tailpiece, when screwed down, actually pre-loads the spring steel.

I am in the process of returning and exchanging the Gibson tailpiece. Am I correct that this tailpiece is defective?

Thanks much, Stu.

016_zps5ffb3a02.jpg

Actually, the angle of the tang on the end of this one looks better than mine and it looks like that's the way it has to be to be able to swing the arm to the back They all rest on the guitar, mine has foam/rubber on the bottom to keep the metal off the finish. The action of the arm does not depend on whether it's off the face of the guitar. That's spring steel, it flexes just enough for subtle vibrato.

Here's a pic of mine. I cannot swing the bar back over the knobs either. I asked for a replacement like CB did but I got another one just like the other one. I just keep my bar in the back as i usually just wiggle the neck to get the type of vibrato I want anyway.

8603439851_e606d10e75_b.jpg

Archived