Gibson Brands Forums

loop stations

blindboygrunt

That is short. What if i wanted to do the full freebird solo !

Theres no way thats the one KT tunstall uses. Sure her black horse uses loops for near a third of the song?

That's the one she uses, by loop segment I mean the blob of sound repeating, in no way does her parts come close to 24 seconds... think on it, if you had a 4 minute loop time, that would be like each iteration of a loop was longer than your average song. So 4 iterations would be a 16 minute job, 8 iterations of a single loop more than 30 minutes.... yer average person is looping a chord sequence or a specific part which may only be a few bars, therefore a few seconds.

If you wanted to do freebird you loop the chord pattern that the solo goes over (which is less than 24 seconds) and widdle and diddle on top as many times as you need to, playback time is infinite...

You'd be surprised how quick you can get along with one mate. If you can count to four in even intervals and have control of your legs/feet you'll be up & running in no time. Like anything there's a skill to intricate usage, but for creating loops and being able to use it, it's a one afternoon/evening type affair... as you find your feet you'll get more adventurous.

They're decent pedals man, no BS......

You'd be surprised how quick you can get along with one mate. If you can count to four in even intervals and have control of your legs/feet you'll be up & running in no time. Like anything there's a skill to intricate usage, but for creating loops and being able to use it, it's a one afternoon/evening type affair... as you find your feet you'll get more adventurous.

They're decent pedals man, no BS......

Top of the list at the minute for me. Its her use of them that made me want one. I wanna get back to gigging this year so along with practicing harp neck rack playing I've been thinking about a pedal. Now just have to fill the Piggie bank

I highly doubt you'll regret it mate.... They're decent, not hard to figure out and well enough built. It's better than the jamman I use, but I only use that as it has the looper and three delay settings in one unit, so it's tidy and easy.

The only other thing I would add, is if you wanted to get into triggering pre-recorded loops etc, you might want to look at something with loads of memory banks etc... but you'd be upping the ante cash-wise.... that's where the jamman delay works well for me, you have preset banks (rubbish rock beats an all that) and user banks, all are editable so you can store your loops instead of building it live every time.

I highly doubt you'll regret it mate.... They're decent, not hard to figure out and well enough built. It's better than the jamman I use, but I only use that as it has the looper and three delay settings in one unit, so it's tidy and easy.

The only other thing I would add, is if you wanted to get into triggering pre-recorded loops etc, you might want to look at something with loads of memory banks etc... but you'd be upping the ante cash-wise.... that's where the jamman delay works well for me, you have preset banks (rubbish rock beats an all that) and user banks, all are editable so you can store your loops instead of building it live every time.

Does the akai cope with this ?

I won't be using it every song. But I figure I need a few uptempo songs as my set list is a little melancholy and uptempo stuf with just a guitar alone can sound a bit buskerish.

And of course I'll have lots of hours fun at home.

have a read at this page/site linked below.. it'll give you the lowdown on them all.. the short answer is no, there's no memory, it's a live tool for those who build loops live our at home… nor can you switch between 2 loops like the jam man does… that's the limitation.

http://loopermusic.com/equipment/akai-e2-headrush-looper-review

I think that's what its all about though isn't it? KT's use of the pedal is a performance in itself .

I think that's what its all about though isn't it? KT's use of the pedal is a performance in itself .

Exactly… too heavy a reliance on pre-recorded stuff looks a bit karaoke, on the other hand once people have seen how a looper works and been impressed they might not want to see it 10 times in a row in one set, it could lose its effectiveness.

For all the jam man has the banks for pre-recorded stuff or mixing multiple loops, any usage Ive done tends to be the 'live' way like KT Tunstall, but we only use it on 2-3 songs of the 27-28 we'd play in a gig.

The "JamUp" app is the only app between many I've tried that is without any noticable latency. This app offers only one acoustic amp sim that is pretty good but it's mostly oriented to electric. Using these apps with an electric is exploring software amp sim with an Apple's device. This post is about loopers and I mostly use Boss RC-3 .

I've had a few over the years: Headrush, RC-2, RC-300. I'm primarily a string player when it comes to playing live and I like creating weird violin loops in the background. The Akai I liked as an on the fly thing, very easy to get round but I couldn't live with the short loop time available. The RC-2 has been on my board for a long time, and I've never found it hard to use. I did read the instruction book though! The big one I used to have lots of prerecorded stuff on there and used it to trigger ambient textures underneath a song in a psychedelic tinged acoustic project where I was playing guitar.

The Ditto looks really nice though, I like the simplicity of it and the fact you can control features through the foot switch rather than having to lean down and sort things out at floor level if you cock up a loop mid song.

That's my problem right there. I probably need to sit down and read the darn thing.

Archived