Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone verse Gibson

Tanner1994

Body and neck materials, finishes, hardware and electronics.

I believe that Epis have a different string spacing too, but I'm not sure.

Basically, they are completely different, other than the style and configuration.

(this is what ive heard/read/discovered myself)

# of pieces of mahogany, ive seen up to 3 piece bodies on epi's one solid piece for gibson, same for necks

headstock is separate piece of wood for epi's joining around the 3rd fret, gibsons use one solid piece

quality of mahogany, epi's are made of common mahogany varieties, gibson's use rare honduran mahogany

finnish, gibsons use nitrocellulose (an intensive process) which makes repairing dings and scratches easier, (almost immpossible on some epi,s) this also makes it so if the neck happens to break you have to refinnish the whole epi, gibson nitrocellulose is easy to match, epi's use a more cost effective catalyzed finnish

ive seen crooked epi machine heads

gibson serial numbers and made in usa branded on, epi's have decals laquered over

mother of pearl vs. silvery plastic inlays

heel/neck joints are different

SUSTAIN, epi's dont have anything on gibsons as far as sustain is concerned

pickups, they sound pretty similar, but the output on the gibson pickups is much higher it is difficult to judge the pickups in isolation with all the other differences affecting the tone however its basically burstbuckers vs. 57 classics

you get what you pay for, epi' electronics are more prone to early failure and less cosmetic attention to detail is shown on things from the electronics to the bridge and tailpiece

gibby's=thicker body/top=heavier epi's=thinner body/top=less heavy ( top apllying for les pauls)

on les pauls the maple top is added for clarity, with a thinner top you get less of that clarity, hense a murkier tone for epi's

for some people buying a gibson, a small part is buying the name

though i have played epi's that have blown me away, and some gibby's that have had no attention payed to them during manufacturing, but i couldnt go for anything else than my gibson

but when it all comes down to it, you have to decide, if you cant tell the difference youll love em both

Gibsons look, feel and play a million times better than Epiphones. I have a couple of Epis because they are great guitars for the money but even my Elitist Sheraton feels slightly cheap because of the polly finish. Nitro definitely makes a difference, as does fret edge binding and decent pickups. Anyway there is no point going over this again...

dead-horse.jpg

Epi SGs are a slightly different shape from Gibson SGs.

You can buy an Epiphone and get a perfectly satisfactory guitar. But: in plain terms, Epiphone is a downscale knockoff of Gibson, and Epis will always exhibit shortcuts in materials, manufacturing, and hardware quality in comparison to Gibsons.

I've had two Epiphones, and there was nothing wrong with them...but I now have three Gibsons, and I wouldn't trade them for Epiphones.

Overall Quality. No comparison. Go for the Gibson.

For my First.... well, full-functioning guitar i wanted an Epiphone G-400. It looked like a dream online. I went a music store to play it and i hated the thing. Overall, there was nothing wrong with it. It just didn't feel right. It didn't bend nicely, it was neck-heavy, I was disappointed with the upper-fret access.... ect.

Today I have the real macoy and i LOVE IT!

OK, you know what, get the epi if you're limited on cash. They really ARE a value!

DSC_0036.jpg

By all means, look at G-400s. Play them all, though. If you find one that plays nicely and doesn't have any irregularities, after a pickup upgrade and perhaps a new bridge, it'll be a very nice guitar. But a good G-400 won't go any further in the "niceness" category than perhaps an average Gibby Special Faded, IMO.

I have a Goth G-400 that I got used with some upgrades from the original owner for $200, and it's a very nice guitar. The bridge is a little wonky as far as the intonation goes and I'd like to replace it sometime, but for a backup to my Gibson Special, after a good setup from a good tech, it's not bad at all.

Archived