Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!

PeteWilson

It is Christmas again! Just received my new Epi SG 50th Anniversary '61 SG in Alpine White. Sounds great! I will have loads of fun with this SG and the P90s! I have not adjusted the pole pieces and it already sounds wonderful!

_DSC0390.jpg[/url][/img]

Pete,

Looks like a keeper to me. Always did like the sound of P-90s.

How's the stock setup? What amp are you playing it through?

Congrats on a beauty,

Willy

Willy, the setup was spot on! Intonation good and action very good, as was expected.

I am playing through a Fender Princeton Chorus and then into a DRRI through the stereo effects on the Princeton. That way I get the OD and Chorus from the Princeton and the warmth of the DRRI. Sounds great to my ears. I will re-string it, of course, to get rid of the special blacken your fingertips strings that come on Epiphones! I am loving this guitar!

Always liked White SG (P-90) Specials! Congratulations!

Looks like a nice "axe!" Hope it plays as well, or even

better, than it looks. [thumbup]

CB

Thanks, CB! I got in my own way trying to take a picture of the guitar! I will re-take and repost...

Well, I have had the SG for a few days now, and have played it nearly exclusively to all the others. I have changed the strings to D'Addario XL .10-46 because that is what I like. I still have the black finger syndrome, and I hope that will stop soon! I did not like the "aged" toggle switch cover. I stole a white one off my LP Classic, which is Trans Red, and looks better with the orange one.

I still love the sound and I intend to keep it original, as I can see no way I can reasonably improve the guitar. I was concerned about the "lightning bridge, as to intonation, and it seems to be a hybrid between a compensated bridge, ala acoustic guitars, but with a couple set screws to adjust. As the intonation was good out of the box, that has not been an issue. The action was perfect for my style of playing and comfort, so that was not an issue. Satisfied I am with this guitar, as Yoda would say.

Thanks for the compliments, all. By the way, the Epi site says this is a limited run, but apparently, it has been out since 2011, if my math (61-01= 50 years) is correct. Anyone know how long the "limited run" is?

Play well, and do not let that jukebox stop!

Pete

Archived