Gibson Brands Forums

First Archtop

ArchTop

Gents,

On current production models, aren't pickups, necks, electronics (excepting PRO models) the same? The larger body size doesn't put me off, at 6'1" I don't think a Dot or 335 is going to hard to manage, but I'm curious if the smaller body of the 339 makes a significant difference in the tone/feedback characteristics. I'm thinking that the only real differences may be economy hardware and less cosmetic embellishment on the Dot vs the other two?

Also, Dot pickups vs. 335 PRO or 339 PRO models: if all in humbucker mode will they not sound the same or are there differences?

Thanks guys,

Arch

I think there's a difference in how one plays.

For example, my "true love" is for about a 175-size box. In theory the 335-Dot is the same size, but it seems bigger. ??? Okay, what that means is that it's me, not the yardstick. But I find I play very differently on a 16-inch archtop with a more-or-less standard depth than I do on a Dot-335. It seems as if the neck is a lot longer, too. So I carry it a bit higher and with a big more upward slant of the neck.

Now, for the smaller versions? I dunno. Don't care much for them and tried a couple. To me they feel like an anorexic parlor guitar. So... I'd probably carry them yet higher, especially doing work above the 5th fret.

Then again, I don't like the feel of a Les Paul or a Strat or Tele but I really like the SG type.

So... Yeah, it's different.

Depending on your style of music, you're best advised to use different "holding" geometry on different instruments. I'd point out the playing position one sees with BB King and the 335 type. It's held higher than one might think of for a full-depth archtop. Joe Pass has a hold on a 175 that's much more of an upward angle than even a classical guitarist - but the 175 is roughly the same proportions as a classical. Chet seems to play more like a flamenco player with a thinbody archtop.

I guess it comes down to what you're playing and how.

m

Also, Dot pickups vs. 335 PRO or 339 PRO models: if all in humbucker mode will they not sound the same or are there differences?

AFAIK, Dot has Alnico Classic pickups, while 335/339 Pro have Alnico Classic Pro humbuckers. I don't know what they sound like in a semi-hollow, but I had AC in LP Studio and AC Pro in Explorer Pro. I think AC Pro are more "classic", as they are designed to resemble Gibson Classic 57 pickups (while Probuckers are to resemble Burstbuckers). I think AC have heavier sound and are a little muddy compared to AC Pro.

But, changing pickups is not a difficult task ;)

...at 6'1" I don't think a Dot or 335 is going to hard to manage...

I've got a Dot, and I like it a lot, but they gave the guitar a stupid name! I think I'd go for the ES-335 Limited Edition Pro for the same price.

Thanks Guys,I pulled the trigger on Friday and took it back yesterday to have the action lowered. She's a Beaut! The 'buckers are a sharp contrast to the single coils on my Telecaster! I'm gonna like this a lot!post-63735-007095600 1395002506_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys,I pulled the trigger on Friday and took it back yesterday to have the action lowered. She's a Beaut! The 'buckers are a sharp contrast to the single coils on my Telecaster! I'm gonna like this a lot!post-63735-007095600 1395002506_thumb.jpg

Sorry, can't figure out how to rotate the pic............

They're quite nice guitars and frankly I've stated before that the Epi Dot is probably the best electric guitar for the dollar anywhere, and is incredibly versatile.

Enjoy.

I have both the cherry and the sunburst, myself...

But don't forget they're not real archtops, but semi-hollows. They resist feedback a lot better ifn' you're playing very loudly, but... not quite "the" archtop sound. Close, though. Who knows... some day you may look into a full hollow.

m

Yes, you are. Congrats and HNGD!

[thumbup]

I opted for the ES335 Pro instead of the Dot for a simple, and some would say silly, reason. I like the fret markers better on the ES335. Both are wonderful guitars, and I suspect you will enjoy your Dot immensely! It is a beauty!

Pete

Archived