Gibson Brands Forums

Need info on an old Gibson Acoustic...

240SX

An ad was posted locally where someone is selling an "old 60's gibson acoustic guitar". He claims that is was originally sold by Simpson Sears and the serial number is 26149. He's asking $300 for it. I can't seem to find any information about this guitar, can anyone here help?

That serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1965 (wrong). Value would depend on the model and condition.

Edit: oops! Looks like I didn't look closely enough. That serial is a 5 digit serial, indicating 1961

I am kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned the Simpson-Sears deal. As far as I know Sears did not sell Gibsons (although they did sell electrics with Gibson pickups). They bought Harmony in 1916 which supplied them with most of their guitars. Could just be faulty memory on the seller's part though.

My 2 cents - it is worth checking out. If it is a Gibson about the only model I would think you would not come out way ahead on would be the C-0 classical. Even if it is an LG-0, assuming it is in good playing condition, you would be doing pretty good. If nothing else it would be some decent trade bait.

Archived