Gibson Brands Forums

eaten up w F -25s

DCBirdMan

Looking for the rare one with the sunburst finish. Also can anyone clear up what I read elsewhere -- that F-25 bracing was changed somewhere after the first few years, so the post '65- '66 ones are somewhat different.

I dig the 2" wide neck, same width ad B-25 and B 45 12s. So I am trolling, as posted elsewhere, for world's cleanest B25-12 pin bridge/sunburst, and sunburst F-25.

I did have a '67 that was in rough shape but really rang/sustained approximately forever.

If I came across one with a hack job refinished top, would that allow/disallow drilling for top mounted volume and tone controls for a pickup(?)

Not sure about the B25-12 but the bracing changes in the B45-12 took place in late 1964. So if you run across a '64 you can't go by the year alone but have to stick you hand up the old girl's skirt to see what is going on in there.

I have never even seen a burst F-25.

I am guessing the bracing change was about the same time for B 25-12? My guess would have been the bracing change happened right when they went from pin bridge to trapeze, but that was a bit later ('65, anyway?) So maybe bracing change and bridge did not happen concurrently. About a year ago Gruhn had a killer clean sunburst F-25... looked like new, only $1250. Sorry I let that one get away -- but we all have those stories.

Looking for the rare one with the sunburst finish. Also can anyone clear up what I read elsewhere -- that F-25 bracing was changed somewhere after the first few years, so the post '65- '66 ones are somewhat different.

Someone online told me that -- I can't vouch it from personal experience.

We have a 65 -- while describing it sound, I found others' description were dramatically different. Ours is a raw honker kind of like a late 30s L-00. I found it too raw for most everything except mountain style folk and blues (which I don't do much). The ones that were being describe were nothing like that.

Since then, I have learned something -- it can still happen. If you play it with a bit more finesse, all that raw power comes out as wonderfully responsive. I had the same response to our 37 RSSD.

F-25

Song1

Song2

Best,

-Tom

I love seeing any discussion about F-25s. I've had mine since '82 and will never give it up even though it as a "hack" refinish of the top. tpbiii is right about moderating its huge raw sound. I played a classical guitar for 20 years before getting the F-25 and found that all the techniques I may have acquired on classical translated to this with its 2" nut. I fingerpick with bare fingers like with nylon strings and also strum with my fingers. This guitar is perfect for me and I feel blessed to have found my life-partner- guitar as early on as I did.

Good luck with your search.

Archived