Gibson Brands Forums

What string gauge comes on new Dot Studio?

walterlane

What string gauge comes on a new Dot Studio? Are they 9s? These strings are, for me, a little too light; I'm so use to playing an acoustic. I may go to 11s or even 12s. I've already changed out the plain 3rd string for a wound nickle 18. Thanks.

I use 11 to 56 Slinkies (Power Slinky 11's with the bottom E swapped out for a heavier one) on my Dot Studio and, IMHO, these suit the guitar perfectly but I tend to hit the low strings quite hard and lightly palm mute them when playing rhythm so quite possibly a totally different playing style to you.

I just checked the 10s on my strat and they feel much stiffer than the strings on my Dot Studio. It occurs to me that if the original strings started to look too nasty on the guitar hanging on display maybe the store changed the Dot's original strings out and used a lighter gauge than what came with the guitar, I think I'll try a set of 10s I already have on hand: D'addario XL 12-46; an 18 3rd wound in place of the plain 17. I like them on my strat and they sound very good. I don't play aggressively; rhythm and a little thumb-style. Thanks all, good info. (12s! What was I thinking?)

It is indeed 10-46. You shouldn't have any issues using 11s or 12s(might need a tweak on the setup though).

I'm going to try the 10s I mentioned and if they're too light I can move up to 11s.

I'm going to try the 10s I mentioned and if they're too light I can move up to 11s.

Have not tried a new set of 10s on the Dot Studio as intended. Instead, I compared my Strat with the Dot Studio side by side and eyeballed the strings. They look the same size to me: 10s like you guys said. So I guess my little theory of the store putting on smaller strings goes out the window. I'd forgotten the Strat has a longer scale than the Dot: 25.5 vs 24.75. So I'm sure that accounts for the difference in feel. As recommended, I'll try 11s if I do change out; but first I think I'll give it some time to see if I can get use to the lighter feel. I knew coming back to electric play from acoustic (still mostly acoustic) would take some adjustment both for me and the guitar.

I've worn 9-42 for ages. 8-38 on my one "board" guitar.

It's all a matter of technique and personal preference, IMHO. Ain't broken a string in years and years - although I do swap 'em out on occasion when they get a certain feel.

As for "strings in the store," I've never left them on more than a playing day or two.

m

For years when I played the Strat only (have had it for thirty years now) I used 9s and was quite use to that light action. Went years, I think, not touching an acoustic. About 12,13 years ago got interested in acoustic again and got a little acoustic and very soon after got an Epiphone PR-200 dreadnough which after eleven years I still have—the little acoustic long gone. Then went years not playing electric. Now I use 10s on the Strat and they work pretty good; I have the action somewhat high. I raised the action a bit on my new DS and that helped some. So far, I've used the DS in church only once; played rhythm and used my Behringer acoustic amp with reverb and chorus effect. It sounded awesome! At home, using my thirty year old Princeton Reverb 2 with just spring reverb it also sounds awesome.Still so glad I got this guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked the 10s on my strat and they feel much stiffer than the strings on my Dot Studio. It occurs to me that if the original strings started to look too nasty on the guitar hanging on display maybe the store changed the Dot's original strings out and used a lighter gauge than what came with the guitar, I think I'll try a set of 10s I already have on hand: D'addario XL 12-46; an 18 3rd wound in place of the plain 17. I like them on my strat and they sound very good. I don't play aggressively; rhythm and a little thumb-style. Thanks all, good info. (12s! What was I thinking?)

a strat will feel stiffer due to the slightly longer scale (distance from nut to bridge)

a strat will feel stiffer due to the slightly longer scale (distance from nut to bridge)

Yes, it does make a difference. I'm still using the 10s on the DS and have gotten a little more use to them. Now that the strings have been broken-in a bit the DS is holding tune better.

Archived