Gibson Brands Forums

JP burstbuckers

LesPaul117

Speaking of those JP Burstbuckers here's what I find:

3 guitars just tested

A 2001 Custom Shop LP with 490R & 498T Humbuckers

A 2004 Standard LP with Burstbuckers

A 2008 JPC LP with Jimmy Page Burstbuckers

Amp - A Fender Princeton 1978 with A Mesa Boogie V12 Preamp.

Sound is distorted but not out of control. Presence and treble set to accentuate higher notes.

Bridge Pickup

Song - Rock and Roll - Zeppelin

The 2001 and 2004 sound pretty close in tone although the 2004 is a bit louder due to Burstbuckers.

These guitars are quiet at rest.

The JPC LP is NOT quiet at rest. In fact it reminds me of a Fender plugged in.

The volume is certainly louder than the other 2 guitars and the tone is definitely more screechy!!!!

QUESTION TO THE ADMIN???

Is the lack of shielding in the pot bay on the Jimmy Page contributing to the "at rest" sound or is it the very hot pickups - or both?

Thanks.

Speaking of those JP Burstbuckers here's what I find:

3 guitars just tested

A 2001 Custom Shop LP with 490R & 498T Humbuckers

A 2004 Standard LP with Burstbuckers

A 2008 JPC LP with Jimmy Page Burstbuckers

Amp - A Fender Princeton 1978 with A Mesa Boogie V12 Preamp.

Sound is distorted but not out of control. Presence and treble set to accentuate higher notes.

Bridge Pickup

Song - Rock and Roll - Zeppelin

The 2001 and 2004 sound pretty close in tone although the 2004 is a bit louder due to Burstbuckers.

These guitars are quiet at rest.

The JPC LP is NOT quiet at rest. In fact it reminds me of a Fender plugged in.

The volume is certainly louder than the other 2 guitars and the tone is definitely more screechy!!!!

QUESTION TO THE ADMIN???

Is the lack of shielding in the pot bay on the Jimmy Page contributing to the "at rest" sound or is it the very hot pickups - or both?

Thanks.

i'm not sure what this might be. i'm not a luthier or one who tinkers with his guitars, so it's really hard for me to diagnose something like this without the guitar in hand...

• 2 weeks later...
a quick glance at the seymour duncan website does not show these pickups. so i assume they are no longer available new. but here's a review from harmony central for some info:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/Seymour+Duncan/Custom+Shop+Jimmy+Page/10/1

I saw that site, but they didn't give a lot of info though. They sound good though....

About the Gibson JP burstbuckers... what is the dc resistance of the neck and bridge pickup?

I saw that site' date=' but they didn't give a lot of info though. They sound good though....

About the Gibson JP burstbuckers... what is the dc resistance of the neck and bridge pickup?[/quote']

they are in the 7.9-8.1 range. the same pickup is used in both positions.

Archived