Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard / SG '61 R-I...

pippy

Hi all you SG pluckers!

I know practically nothing about the recent SG variants so could someone please list all the differences between the 2013 SG Standard and the 2013 SG '61 R-I?

The only things I've noticed (min-e option apart) is the TonePros on the Standard as opposed to the Klusons on the R-I's and, possibly, different finishes.

Both seem to be made with the same woods; the same electrics; the same hardware; the same neck profile; the same bevels etc...etc...

I would have thought the R-I would at least have had an ABR-1 but no; a Nashville (so hardly a '61 R-I......but I'll let that pass).

Thanks in advance!

P.

Hi all you SG pluckers!

I know practically nothing about the recent SG variants so could someone please list all the differences between the 2013 SG Standard and the 2013 SG '61 R-I?

The only things I've noticed (min-e option apart) is the TonePros on the Standard as opposed to the Klusons on the R-I's and, possibly, different finishes.

Both seem to be made with the same woods; the same electrics; the same hardware; the same neck profile; the same bevels etc...etc...

I would have thought the R-I would at least have had an ABR-1 but no; a Nashville (so hardly a '61 R-I......but I'll let that pass).

Thanks in advance!

P.

Hi Pippy,

The Headstock, on the '61 is larger, as it was originally. I haven't actually played a 2013 or later,

SG Standard, so I'm not sure if the necks are a bit different? '61 has the '60's profile and a bit

wider fingerboard, than the old "Standards" (with batwing pickguards, no horn tapering, and shallower

bevels, between the horn tips, and neck joint.). Not sure about how the fingerboards on the 2013, and

later, Standards are? I'm sure someone else, here will know, and/or have both, and be able to tell you.

The newer SG Standards have coil splitting, as well as the original (*or near enough) '60's wider and

deeper beveling, and horn tapering. *They all seem to vary, slightly, in that regard. Also, the VOS

(Custom Shop) '61 versions, have the aged finish, and the headstock, though large like the USA version,

is slightly more "squared" as were the original '61 "Les Paul" SG's, and have the "long neck tenon," as

well.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/SG-Standard.aspx (See Spec's)

'61 Reissue:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-61-Reissue/Specs.aspx

'61 VOS Reissue:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue/Specs.aspx

Hope that will help, some?

Cheers,

CB

P.

Had expected that for the Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG, too, but they also came with the Nashville bridge. Anyway, the bridge jiggled even with the slightest use of the vibrola. So I replaced it with the Schaller STMC roller bridge, and since it's a direct drop-in for the Nashville TOM, the historic flaw turned into a feature for me... [biggrin]

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I appreciate it.

So not really too much, then? Mainly small design detail-differences?

I hadn't noticed the Coil-split bit, though. Must pay closer attention in future!

Thanks again!

Pip.

Archived