Gibson Brands Forums

Would love some help with info on my acoustic guitar

Vega1

Thanks in advance for any info. I have searched and have not been able to find anything. What I have found says this brand was/is of Japanese manufacture and they were known for cheap copies of American guitars.

Background:

This is my main acoustic. I was visiting relatives in San Francisco in the early '90s and was jonesing badly, so I rented a guitar from a music store... this one. I fell in love. I couldn't give it back and ended up buying it. Don't remember how much, but it couldn't have been over a couple hundred dollars.

Its really a fantastic guitar. It has great sustain, plays really well even at the high frets, has a comfortable neck. In short it plays and sounds great. It does not in any way seem cheaply made really. I took it in to get it cleaned up and get a new bridge saddle on it a couple years ago, and it was like I came home with a new guitar.

Anyway, I'd love more info on the model or brand. Pics below. Thanks again.

Label says "Denver Guitar, The Asama, Model #W2000

asama_label.jpg

asama_logo.jpg

asama_neck.jpg

asama_full.jpg

asama_back.jpg

asama_body.jpg

asama_top.jpg

I found your word for word identical post on a different forum from 4 years ago. Past that, nothing that you probably haven't already seen.

Heh, changed a couple words but yeah, thought I'd try here since I didn't get much from the other forum.

Thanks

• 5 years later...

This, from Fjestad's Blue Book:

Asama. Instruments previously built in Japan during the early 1980s.
Guitars with this trademark are generally medium to good quality copies of American designs as well as some original designs.
Source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Guru's Guitar Guide.

:)
  • Thanks 1