Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrading an Epi SG Special EB!

Mr. C.O. Jones

Hello!

The first guitar i bought was this Epi SG Special.

And well for the money i spent i was surprised, it was a nice guitar. Did´nt expect that much. But this kind of guitars mostly has some little issues.

For example the tuners are reeeeaaaaly crapy. And it has fret buzzing, but i will repair it soon. Also i wanted to change the potis i realy don´t need the Killpot. and would rip ot the two it has and put four 500k pot's in. What i dont know is what pot will fit better long or short ones? And to the tuners which kind would fit best? i don´t care how they look, as long they keep my guitar in tune. I know maybe some of you think sell the guitar and buy a better one, but i like it and it is my experimental project. I already got myself a better guitar.Greetings to all Epiphone and Gibson fans.

The tuners on that guitar are lower end, but if its a new guitar, the problem may lie with the nut. Take a graphite pencil and work some shavings into the slots on the nut to lubricate it. That may solve your tuning issues. The fret buzzing means you need to adjust the truss rod. New guitars should be taken in for a set-up after you get it because your home may have a different temperature and humidity than the shop the guitar was built or the warehouse it was stored in. The tech should be able to fix the buzzing and i'm sure can lubricate the nut for you as well.

What deeman said about the nut +1. If the nut slots are too tight for the strings, you can use a welder's torch cleaning tool to open them up a tiny bit. Way cheaper than a set of nut files and great for that one single binding nut quick fix.

As for the fret buzz it can be a single fret that's popping up, a single fret that's a little high, improper neck relief, bridge needing adjustment and so on. Unless you're willing to learn a lot about frets and guitar setup, it's probably easier to take it to a good luthier and spend a few bucks letting him set it up.

My SG Special came with Wilkenson old style tuners which I really like. They're quite smooth.

First of all i'd like to thank you for your replys. Now to the tuners, first when i bought my guitar had those tuning issues. But i did the graphite trick to lubricate and it worked surprisingly good. My problem with this tuners is that they are kind of loose and it is impossible to screw them all the way down to the back of the headstock. The screw can turn eternaly but the tuner always has a space between headstock and tuner-cap. Well idid'n expect more, low end guitar with low end tuners. Thats why i'd like to change them. Maybe with some sort of Klueson Deluxe clones.The ones i have on my Les Paul work perfectly, and i like how they look. The fret-buzzing, its only a matter of time i already located the fret that is popping up. And to the neck relief, at first it had much more fret-buzzing, but i did adjust the truss rod myself. Like i said it is my guitar for experimentation, i am am kind of a "do it yourself" guy. And for now all i did on this guitar workedperfectly. And well the only thing i don't know for sure is what type of pots fit into this guitar. Long or short?

If the screws never stop turning then the holes are stripped. Take out the screw, put in a toothpick, break it off, and if there's room for another toothpick do it again. Then put the screw back in. It doesn't need to be as tight as the heads on a 1968 Chevy or anything, it mostly just holds it to keep it from turning. After that, use a nut driver / socket wrench / open - box end wrench to tighten the nuts on the other side 'til it's nice and snug. Then when you put the strings back on be sure to get 3+ wraps on the low E string and 6+ wraps on the high E string.

If after all that the tuners still slip etc, then yeah get some replacements. My SG Special (1961 P-90s custom shop etc) came with Wilkenson 3 in a row tuners and they are actually REALLY good for 14:1 ratio tuners. Since all three are mounted on a single strip on each side, they can't twist in their mounting hole, and provide VERY stable tuning.

wYfK5F3.jpg?1

Wow sounds like a good trick. Will try it as soon as possible, i work 12 hours a day. That gives me very little time to do that stuff. And very very nice axe by the way, love that colour.

Thanks! I love it. I grew up playing a 1974 Gibson SG Custom and a friends 1960s SG and this thing is the best of both of them. I own a tele clone and a strat and while I love them for some stuff, this is my main guitar. I love the sound of P-90s and the feel of the neck on this thing. And since I grew up playing SGs I don't know what people mean when they say neck dive, since I NEVER let go of the neck.

Archived