Gibson Brands Forums

Any Guitar Collectors Here?

J-200 Koa

Regarding insurance, you can also have the agent for your homeowners insurance company draw up a separate rider covering your guitars up to a certain cumulative amount and a certain amount per each guitar. Just gotta make sure the loss limit per instrument and the total covers your guitars. In my case, I give him an annual breakdown of manufacturer, model, year of model, serial #, and then list the current year's Vintage Guitar Guide's price depending on condition for each instrument. It covers my insurance needs in case of theft or loss due to typical homeowner policy coverages. It also covers the instruments if they're out of the house provided I transport any of them with basic safety considerations such as being in a locked vehicle.

Regarding purchasing guitars for my collection, I basically follow one rule. If I buy the guitar is it at a value that will I be able to sell it reasonably easy at the same value to break even. That means I have to shop carefully for good below market values. From there...if it goes up in price, great. Since they're below market value priced to start off with, there's little doubt they will (and of course they have.) But, then again I've only sold off two that I've ever bought as I really buy them cause I want to have them to play. But, its cool to see their values rise as investments...as a different aspect of the whole package of guitar playing.

QM

Who would buy a guitar just because Roy Rodgers played it?

Hmmmm now where did I hear that line recently?

are you owning the guitar or is the guitar owning you?????

Interesting question that Wily.

I do believe that Bozeman may be working on an Adirondac topped Sj250 which will actually pay the mortgage and out out the trash.

that Adi is wonderful stuff isn't it?

BR

John

Ya want an example - my #1 electric for alot of decades - my 1958 Tele - early one with string through body.

If I may say so Zomby, that is one fine looking Tele!

It looks far from a "collectors" guitar and looks as it has given much (playing)enjoyment over the years.

IF there is such a thing as "mojo" ( I did get rather pilloried a few weeks ago for using that term) then that guitar seems to have it in abundance!

It makes a complete mockery of the so called "relic" guitars produced by Fender these days!

Wiley' date=' there's a happy medium. A $6k late 40's Southern Jumbo with lots of what around here is lovingly called "mojo" is not going to suffer from the addition a bit more "mojo", and can be passed around any jam session, yet that guitar will continue to appreciate handsomely. Would I take the same chances with a pre-war D-45, or even a pre-1970 D-45? Probably not. When we talk about collectible guitars, there are $2000, $20,000, and $200,000 examples of same, so pick your comfort level, and play 'em!

As for insurance, I recently learned there is a specialty company that insures musical instruments for 1% of insured value per annum. I have been meaning to look into it. It's called "Heritage Insurance Services." If they are anything like my collector car insurance company they will be sensitive to the special concerns of instrument owners. :) [/quote']

Agreed. Also, I use Heritage. Great coverage, much better than having a rider added to your Home owner's policy, imo. Do check it out.

Archived