Gibson Brands Forums

Power Attenuators

Karloff

I think Surf did quite well outa this thread. I've been meaning to buy one of his attenuators for ages and this thread kick started that. As someone said up there, always good to support fellow forumites.

It has become a bit of a lovefest. I'm a bit embarassed. [blush] I've tried purposely not to hawk any of my stuff on here. Not why I'm here. That said, I'm glad some have found it to their liking.

Back to the OP... regardless of make and model, an attenuator is a real plus in my opinion, as long as it reasonably preserves your tone. As mentioned earlier, the best sounds come with lighter attenuation. If you are squashing your dimed 50 watt Marshall to whisper levels it's going to sound like a$$ with any attenuator! But I can dime my 22 watt Deluxe Reverb (which can punish your eardrums) and attenuate quite a bit - enough to stand right in front of it - and still have it sound great. In fact I get to do this for about an hour with every one I make. I test each on my own amp first. That's the fun part - testing them out. [biggrin]

It has become a bit of a lovefest. I'm a bit embarassed. [blush] I've tried purposely not to hawk any of my stuff on here. Not why I'm here. That said, I'm glad some have found it to their liking.

Back to the OP... regardless of make and model, an attenuator is a real plus in my opinion, as long as it reasonably preserves your tone. As mentioned earlier, the best sounds come with lighter attenuation. If you are squashing your dimed 50 watt Marshall to whisper levels it's going to sound like a$$ with any attenuator! But I can dime my 22 watt Deluxe Reverb (which can punish your eardrums) and attenuate quite a bit - enough to stand right in front of it - and still have it sound great. In fact I get to do this for about an hour with every one I make. I test each on my own amp first. That's the fun part - testing them out. [biggrin]

That Juice Box looks interesting. Could you build one so I could mount it inside my combo?

Guest Farnsbarns

That Juice Box looks interesting. Could you build one so I could mount it inside my combo?

I haven't mentioned it to surf yet but I intend to gut one and build it into the 18 watter I built last year. I haven't made a cabinet for the amp yet so that gives me some freedom. I'll be happy to report back on that.

Guest Farnsbarns

I have a couple guys who did that. They just velcroed it inside the cab.

Why didn't I think of that? A couple of screws even.

Why didn't I think of that? A couple of screws even.

I know, right? [biggrin] That said, I like the idea of built in. It would be pretty easy to put into your amp chassis, since you are building it anyway. Should be plenty of room. Drill one extra hole in the back for the knob. I can just tell you the parts you'd need to do it yourself - easy and cheap if you don't need a pretty enclosure and the flexibility of being able to unplug it and move it. The only consideration to building it in might be heat. The attenuator dissipates energy (wattage) in the form of heat. That's why I have these holes drilled. [biggrin] And I even drill the bottom plates and elevate the boxes on feet to help dissipate heat. Could be fun to try the built in though. Let me know.

See all the holes...

IMG_3385.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Archived