Gibson Brands Forums

Best buy?

Wayne

I've been lamenting the fact that I have to drive 4 hours round trip to play Gibsons. Tonight I walked into Best Buy and what did I see? Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, Epiphones. I played a J-45 and my first Hummingbird at Best Buy. How weird is that?

On their web site they have NO Gibsons acoustics' date=' but they have Taylors up to $3999, Martin up to $899, Fenders, Takamine, Ovation, etc. They do have Gibson electrics. Hmmm ..[/quote']

The Best Buy in Southcenter Seattle had probably a half dozen Bozeman Gibsons, and three or four Newfie Gibsons a few weeks ago.

I think it is great that Best Buy is going to offer competition in this market - hopefully soon here in Canada as well.

Hopefully, they will hire staff who know about musical instruments at all, and have the incentive to present the instruments at their best. What I've seen in US Best Buys made the Evil Empire stores look like luthier-inhabited havens.

. . . all I really want from sales is to know which model is which and leave me the hell alone. . .

I second that motion. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, worse than listening to some guy tell you that you shouldn't buy the Advanced Jumbo because the J45 is so much better. You tell him you have your own ears and hands and you can make a choice - even if your wife ISN'T with you - and he still persists talking while you are trying to play.

I've been lamenting the fact that I have to drive 4 hours round trip to play Gibsons. Tonight I walked into Best Buy and what did I see? Gibsons' date=' Martins, Taylors, Epiphones. I played a J-45 and my first Hummingbird at Best Buy. How weird is that?

[/quote']

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten all about it. It's a new marketing model. It was announced early last fall that Best Buy would be carrying Gibsons... a lot of them, not like the Walmartz announcement of a year or two ago that turned out to be 'entry level' Maestros... in limited areas... or as in my closest Walmartz's a single package of ultralight strings with the Gibson logo in each store. :( Big woop.

I haven't had the necessity to storm the sliding doors of my neighborhood Best Buy... guess now I do. Maybe the new model is working.

Archived