Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Test/Review day: Sheryl Crow SJ, J-200 Custom Koa

Old Neil

Had some big fun today that is worth sharing with those that understand my affliction [biggrin]

Did a shootout at my LGS between my standard J-45 (itself part of a shootout between a J-45 TV and John Hiat J-45, posted about here a year or two ago)a Sheryl Crow SJ, a standard Honeyburst J-200 and A Custom Koa J-200.

Here are some pics (low lighting so had to use phone flash with all that that entails unfortunately)

I will talk about my impressions in another post but must get out and about with my son. Later...

Had some big fun today that is worth sharing with those that understand my affliction [biggrin]

Did a shootout at my LGS between my standard J-45 (itself part of a shootout between a J-45 TV and John Hiat J-45, posted about here a year or two ago)a Sheryl Crow AJ, a standard Honeyburst J-200 and A Custom Koa J-200.

Here are some pics (low lighting so had to use phone flash with all that that entails unfortunately)

I will talk about my impressions in another post but must get out and about with my son. Later...

Looking forward to your impressions. FWIW, the Sheryl Crow is a Southern Jumbo, not an Advanced Jumbo.

Looking forward to your impressions. FWIW, the Sheryl Crow is a Southern Jumbo, not an Advanced Jumbo.

Yes, correct 69 son. I have changed the title in the original post now. It had the same bracing as an AJ though with an Adirondack red spruce top to boot. Here are a few observations:

All the guitars at this price point are good. It is more a question of taste and what kind of thing you want to play. I am liking the qualities of Koa in the J-200 Custom model. It compresses everything in a good way (not 'tight' sounding just even like a choir) while maintaining a bit of top end sparkle sonically speaking. A little like how this one looks actually. That big *** blonde would be great for supplying a rich, jangly carpet of rhythm guitar under a vocal track. I would probably double track it with a touch of reverb/delay (just enough so you would only notice it if it wasn't there). Instant pop feel good lovelyness.

The Sheryl Crow is like a brighter, more 'stereo' sounding version of mine (different top wood and bracing pattern for a different character of projection). My own J-45 is slightly darker, woodier and more moody - like an old tree. Does not get in the way of vocals as much - which is one of the reasons why I bought it. I played mine beside a used J-45 TV and a feather light Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner. The Santa Cruz had more bite but I didn't feel it was radically different enough to my particular J-45 standard. I have removed the electrics from mine and had it professionally set up with bone saddle. It would take a very good guitar to replace it. I am looking more to comlpement it with different woods/bracings that add something I don't already have.

I also played a nice J-200 standard in a honeyburst. It was warm but seemed less defined and 'wooly' when I switched back to the Koa J-200. If this makes any sense to those of you reading this the Koa J-200 sounds to my ears like a what I imagine a very good Hummingbird would/should be like. I have played many Hummingbirds, including a TV but, outside of a '64 vintage one I played ages ago and, interestingly, a particular Koa custom Hummingbird they haven't really done it for me.

Yesterday, at another store, I played a feather light and strongly projecting, crisp 20th Anniversay J-35 complete with case candy ceriticate signed by the Ren-meister himself. It was like an even better, barkier version of the Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner with AJ bracing and Adirondack top. Beautiful and suprising guitar. Like a more nuanced and refined version of the newish standard line of J-35's. A class act.

Nice. I guess with a lineup like that it's hard to call, excellent or more excellent ;) of those, that sounds like spoke to you the most, the J-200 Koa would be most different to contrast with your J-45...the fact it's one of the best looking and distinctive guitars ever made, doesn't hurt either. I've looked high and low for a SCSJ for a price I could swing if I sold a few guitars/amps and the search kind of soured me on them, for the cost over the J-45 Std. Now a Woody Guthrie SJ and we'd be talking. Have fun in the search.

This has probably been covered elsewhere but the search engine here isn't exactly Google...

I have many more photos but there is 500kb limit. I tried using the URL pic link via Photobucket but got a message saying this board doesn't allow the use of that URL - which I thought was strange.

Anyone have a way around that? I would like to do these guitars justice on the thread.

I went and played them again, this time plugged in. Obviously the most natural sounding one (no FX or EQ, just dry signal to a Bose PA setup in the store) was the SC SJ with such a quality mic system and breakout box.

Mind you, the Eclipse Aura system of the J-200 Koa Custom was no slouch either. Yes it was sharper and more to the treble side but it managed to avoid excessive nasal quality and no piezo 'quack' in evidence. Very clear.

The Trance Audio Amulet System on the Sheryl Crow was impressive though, no doubt about it. Good bass definition without feedback boom. As natural as one could reasonably expect from a direct out on an acoustic guitar.

Sonic observations of unmiced tone:

SC SJ: Deeper, growlier with more mid punch. More rock 'n roll and country in a sense.

J-200 Koa: Broader, wide sheet of 'stereo' sound with grand piano sustain and depth. Jangly pretty top end. More pop/rock and folk in a sense.

Still need to go back to the other shop to listen to that 20th anniversary J-35 again.

That would be an excellent match I would guess. The Amulet system has the best chance of accurately transferring the Legend's moaning, woody bass through a PA to the audience.

It constantly suprises me how often famous artists with presumably no budget restraints (cough, Paul McCartney, cough) use quacky sounding piezo pickups in their acoustic guitars for live work.

That would be an excellent match I would guess. The Amulet system has the best chance of accurately transferring the Legend's moaning, woody bass through a PA to the audience.

It constantly suprises me how often famous artists with presumably no budget restraints (cough, Paul McCartney, cough) use quacky sounding piezo pickups in their acoustic guitars for live work.

Stephen Stills and I'm not coughing. This guy has a collection of awesome guitars and his acoustics always sound like a 70's Tak.

Interested to know:

What would forum members here choose between the SC SJ and the custom koa J-200? I am aware many of you will not have had the chance to play either of these great guitars but even as an opinion, which would you go for?

Never had my hands on any J200 but I own a SCSJ and I think it is a fantastic instrument. Might be my favorite including over the D18GE and the D28 Marquis which I just sold. I'll never part with the SCSJ.

Rich

Interesting. I have owned both the D18 GE and D-28 Marquis (Madagascar) in the past.

The SC SJ is the closest I have heard to a meeting of Gibson playability, 'vibe' and good treble/bass balance and that Martin growl when you dig in.

Other observations. Adirondack tops can definitely handle a heavier picking/strumming hand without breaking up.

The J-200 Koa Custom is 'prettier', with a wider sounding stereo field that moves more air but gets a bit too harsh/'stringy'/metallic ring/distorted if you lay into it too much.

I have to caveat that though as it has near new Elixers on it which I have always found to have a bit of that quality by themselves on any guitar particularly when new. They may be useful to brighten up a 'dark' or even dull sounding guitar bit perhaps not the best match for a new, large-bodied koa guitar like this one.

The D28 Marquis I had was Indian Rosewood. I bought it new, but I could never get used to the neck shape. The D18 GE I still have. I can deal with that ok. It goes to the Bluegrass Jams. The SCSJ neck shape is perfect for me plus I love the sound that comes out of it. I do a lot of finger picking with picks and it lends itself well to the ragtime and the like that I play.

Rich

What a difference a few days make. It is quite hot and humid weather so perhaps not the best time to be testing acoustic guitars. Today, I went back with a guitarist friend to get an independant opinion and also hear them played from in front. Both teh SC SJ and the J-200 Koa sounded relatively lifeless and 'stringy' today. THe SJ could be coaxed with a heavier touch to elicit some growl but the airy clarity of the J-200 had mostly gone.

I thought that this must be just humidity except for the fact that another guitar hanging nearby, a Taylor K24 ce (all koa cutaway grand auditorium size) but was crystal clear but with great mids and lows to go with it. Weirdly I also thought it sounded better direct into the Bose PA in direct comparison to the already impressive Trance Audio Amulet system on the SC SJ. Apperently Taylor ( a brand that has never done much for me in the past apart from having fairly playable necks) have both a new bracing system for the koa top to get it moving more and a Mark II version of their electronics. Very impressive today at least.

Must go back to other store to test the double-oh Rasmussen guitar and get back again for a slightly delayed comparison.

Archived