Gibson Brands Forums

tarnished metal

jpaskell

I just returned from a two week vacation, and had stored my ES339 in the case before leaving home.

Upon returning home I find that all the metal, pick ups, bridge, tailpiece etc. Are tarnished. I am assuming it is because it was locked in the case. Anyone else experience this? Will any metal cleaner clean this up after I take it apart, clean all the metal and replace the strings?

Never experienced this before. Anyone have any experience/hints? I tried to send pictures, but I am not that talented.

Thanks,

Jim

Nickel hardware will always tarnish with time, sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

The machine heads on my otherwise chrome hardware equipped 1970's Gibsons are practically white. I just wash my hands after touching them what happens rarely since I use TP-6 finetuners.

It's the other way round on my Epiphone LP, no TP-6 possible, but the tuners are chrome-plated, the rest nickel and, of course, rather tarnished. A little more sensitive than the Epi is a Custom Shop Gibson LP of mine. The tuner buttons are plastic, so no problem despite of not allowing for a TP-6.

I just live with it and sometime wipe the white stuff away, in particular where my plucking hand sometimes gets in touch with the bridge during playing. Polishing would remove all the nickel faster. My favorite plating is chrome which fortunately most of my guitars have.

Thanks for the replies. Jeffery, no smell in the case. I have two photos but apparently they are too big for this site. I will probably just get some nickel cleaner and get over myself.

I just wondered what could have caused it in an attempt to not have it happen again, and if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks again Jeffery and Capmaster.

Jim

That's good. Hydrogen sulfide has found its way into some Chinese products (notoriously, sheetrock), and it corrodes metal like crazy. I do recall getting some fingprints on the tuners of my EB3 bass back into 60s, and they were very difficult to remove with a polishing cloth (minus any sort of cleaner). If you suspect moisture in the case, I'd get a can of desiccant and put it in the closed case for a while to remove all humidity and moisture.

Archived