Gibson Brands Forums

bigsby bridge

harmonicchaos

I'm going to be ordering a bigsby and my sales rep said that i can either order it with or without a bridge...

what is the bigsby bridge and should i go ahead and get it? is it going to work better with it than with my TOM bridge?

thanks! Yes, i know, yet ANOTHER stupid question...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bigsby bridge is the bridge with the Bigsby attached - you know, one seamless part. This differs from a normal Bigsby, which could be taken off after installation without removing the TOM. I'd stick with the TOM personally, but it's your choice. Don't quote me on it, though- I don't know a whole lot about tailpieces / vibrolas.

my guess would be that the seller has one that just come with the bigsby tail piece and one set that comes with the bigsby and a roller bridge. i have seen alot of package deals like that. or he is talking about with or without the tension bar. i think the aren't that cool looking without the tension bar so if that's what he's talking about get the tension bar one.

oh and thunder, you have those pictures of the bruce springsteen replica to? i saved most of those when i saw them.

Use your TOM or order a roller bridge. the Bigsby bridge is a simple compensated peice held to the guitar body by string pressure like a jazz box bridge. It's only really good for jazz boxes or guitars with original wraparounf bridges like Jr's.

TOM will prob cause a bit of tuning issues but a roler bridge can be noisey when playing hard as the rollers tend to have a little movement in them. But either is worth it to have a sweet sweet bigsby. :D

Google images is your friend:

bigsbybridge.jpg

Archived