Gibson Brands Forums

LP standard 2013 vs 2014

Cicero146

Hi,

I am new here. I am playing guitar now for almost 2 years and would like to buy a Les Paul. Nowadays I am playing a strat. I was wondering if there is a difference between the standard 2013 and 2014 on the elctronic side? I know the 2014 has the min-etune, but I don't want that. Apart from that any differences?

I doubt between a trad. And a stand. But I will have to go and try the 50's neck first. Being used to a strat neck, I think the 60's neck will suite me better, or is that a wrong thought?

Do you damage the guitar without a pick guard?

Cheeeeers

Hi,

I am new here. I am playing guitar now for almost 2 years and would like to buy a Les Paul. Nowadays I am playing a strat. I was wondering if there is a difference between the standard 2013 and 2014 on the elctronic side? I know the 2014 has the min-etune, but I don't want that. Apart from that any differences?

I doubt between a trad. And a stand. But I will have to go and try the 50's neck first. Being used to a strat neck, I think the 60's neck will suite me better, or is that a wrong thought?

Cheeeeers

I am no pro by any means. But I was kind of in the same boat as you, I wanted a Standard in 2013, but ended up buying a 2013 Traditional instead. The Trad was only $2100 vs $3200 for the Standard. They both are truely awesome guitars. 2 Years later I still love my Tradional and am now use to it. Trads are truely tone monsters! The neck thing didnt bother me as you will get use to which ever you choose. Some day I would like to buy a second guitar and I think it would be a Standard, just so I can compare and have a feeling of what the 60s neck is like. Either choice IMO is a good one!

Welcome, Cicero, to this nice place in the web.

Pickguards depend on either likes and needs. I don't like them in general wherever possible. Of course, most of my Fenders have pickups, controls and switches attached to it, so there's no other way. As for my playing style, I neither touch the top of my Les Paul guitars without one, nor do I touch the pickguard of my Traditional 2013 which came with it factory-mounted. I keep some supplied pickguards on the shelf and won't mount them for sure.

On principal, I agree that the 60's neck comes closer to the typical Fender modern C-shape, but there possibly are other factors.

First, to my feel it's always about the entire package. I don't have any problems, even when comparing extremes. Starting with extraordinarily slim necks, there are those of my Explorer and most of my SGs. The latter's early 60's profile is known for being prone to headstocks snapping-off, but mine are fine since up to - damn, indeed exactly thirty-six years today! My oldest SG was born on September 15th, 1978. [biggrin] However, the late 50's neck of my Traditional LP feels comfortable, too, and interestingly very close to that of my 2012 American Deluxe Telecaster.

Second, other than my 2011 and 2012 Standards, the 2013 and 2014 models feature an asymmetrical 60's neck. I know it well since one of these is part of the SG Supra of mine. To me it's subjective feel is slightly fatter than the "normal" 60's shape. I hope it won't twist in the long run. There's just one obvious shortcoming of the asymmetrical profile: I have to mount my trusty Shubb C-1 capo headlong and therefore take better care with my fretting hand close to it.

When about electric specifications, I think there are no differences between the 2013 and 2014 models.

Hope this helps.

If you played Strats and like the slim "C" shape or the "soft V", you will be comfortable with Les Paul's 60's asymmetrical necks. I wouldn't worry too much about it... you quickly adjust after a few minutes of playing.

Let's face it, most guitar players buy guitars with their eyes first... then how it sounds and how it feels.

I look for both, good looking, sounding good and comfortable to play. So... that's three things I look for in fact LOL.

Is the 50's neck much fatter? Does it result in a painful hand/fingers if you're not used to it?

Cheers

Getting acquainted to the late 50's neck took me just a few minutes, as described by kaicho8888 for the Fender/Gibson 60's transition.

When about painful fingers, it's just the opposite. Fretting open chords especially from 1st to 7th fret is more comfortable on a late 50's than on slimmer necks, in particular for the thumb as long as I keep it on the neck's back. Mine is there most of the time since I seldom use it for fretting.

1410790030[/url]' post='1564512']

Hi,

Cheeeeers

If yer a player that lays hands ,that is fingers resting io the face of the guitar..being right where the pick-guard covers then..well... If you like the ROAD WORN..look only for REALS...then no leave it off...however.. If you are annul and have a mental breakdown every time yer LP gets a scratch...leave it on....as fer looks... It like arse wholes...everybody has one....msp_cool.gif

Would you go for the 2013 or the 2014 version if you had to choose between them?

Since I'd prefer the 2013 finishes, they attract me more, but playability and tone are the very criteria to me. The 2014 12th fret 120th Anniversary inlay is of zero importance to me. Finally, one might get some 2013 guitars for a decent price. Some could be leftovers due to being duds, but others may just have been to nobody's taste before.

Just my two cents.

Archived