Gibson Brands Forums

I finally found THE strings for my LP!!!

Alouf

All right,

So I have been trying and comparing different brands of strings on my GOR, in quest for a better tone and more sustain. My style of playing is blues mostly, and right now I am in a cover band and we mostly do Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore.

So far, my favorite string was the DM BlueSteel cryogenic strings. To be honest, this whole cryogenic process did not add much life to my strings. I was still changing string every week, at 4 hours average per day. But I did like how they sounded, and they did have a nice sustain.

But something seemed to have still been missing...so I decided to change the strings and go for something Nickel based.

So I ordered a set of Pyramid Gold not expecting much difference from my BlueSteel, and man was I in for a surprise!!! These strings play like butter and sound like heaven!!

The tone and sustain on these babies is incredible, and I think I found the strings that will populate my LP. I will also buy sets for my other guitars. And you get 7 strings, so you have a choice of a regular G or a wounded one!

I have no idea yet on durability, but I heard it is quite good. But that doesn't matter, I found me a good place that sells them for cheap (relatively speaking compared to most online retailers) +:-@

I am in tonal heaven for a while...

Here is what I tried on my LP so far:

-Pyramids Gold: Excellent vintage tone and sustain. Easy to play and bend. Excellent strings.

-DM BlueSteel: Good bright tone overall...durability not as much as marketing wants you to believe

-DR color coated: The best coated string I tried. Durability is very good. Tone is less bright and a bit muffled

-DR Pure Blues: very nice and clear, and really easy to play. a 10 on these, feels like a regular 9.

-Elixirs: Was not impressed for the price. good longetivity, but the tone is barely decent.

Hope this could be helpful for someone.

I use Pyramid strings on my Ric 360/12. Great tone.

Where did you buy yours? Less expensive is always better!

I bought it from http://www.thestringguy.com/

He is a Canadian retailer and his prices are the best online after a few hours of research. He is a very nice guy, and he sent some freebies! Shipping was fast, but I live in Canada as well.

The pyramid gold are 17$USD per pack, and around 16$ if you buy 3 packs, which is cheap. I seen the golds anywhere from 22$ to 30$! On juststrings.com, they are 31.73$ and only the 6 strings version, not the 7 strings.

Also, I ordered the Classic Nickel ones from him at 8$!!

The classic nickels are the same nickel pure version, but unflattened like the gold. And you only get the 6 strings as opposed to 7 (with the optional roundwound G).

Archived