Gibson Brands Forums

Switching guitars affliction?

RudyH

I've been playing the Variax for months and then decided to start playing the Strat again. Well, what a shock that was. I am finding it difficult to play the Strat. Lots of string buzz, inadvertent muting of strings while playing chords, fretting errors galore. Is this normal when switching from one guitar to another? I have found no such affliction when switching from the Variax to an ES335.

This can happen occasionally if the guitars you're changing between have different neck scales. The Gibson standard is 24.75" with 22 frets, whereas most Strats are 25.5" with 21 frets. Thus, the frets are a little bigger and can take some getting used to if you haven't played in a while.

dump the strat... strat's are no good.

Just kidding, this is a Gibson forum so i had to give ya a little ribbing. :-k

Yeah, i have that a little too. Sometimes it takes me a little time to adjust to a different guitar if i'm playing it at a store or something. Even switching back and forth between my lp and my dove can be awkward for the first minute or so if i haven't played one of them for a while.

It sounds like the variax and the strat are fairly different builds so if you're used to one thing, it'll take a little time to get used to another... just hang in there, it'll get easier after a while. I promise.

Archived