Gibson Brands Forums

Floating Tremolo Bridge System

goldtop1

I've got an 'Epiphone Strat' but it looks like a Kramer copy. I've been working to intonate it properly. What tuning machines are the best to use with the floating bridge configuration? There is no locking nut device and I'm not interested in installing one.

Well, since Epiphone and Kramer are both owned by Gibson, I'm not sure who copied who.

I would say you need some type of locking-tuner. There are many on the market, and I don't have enough experience with them to recommend one over the other. But here's one to check out. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-schaller-locking-tuners

Good luck! [biggrin]

Kramer was first. Epiphone bought the Kramer brand in 1998/1999. But Epiphone S-series "strats" are more akin to a Fender copy than a Kramer copy. Kramer started making their guitars more "fender-ish" when they began making them overseas.

Anyway, what model is your Epiphone strat? And what type of bridge does it have? It will either be a vintage style, Epiphone Bennder or Floyd Rose. The vintage style is like any other strat-type bridge, in that the tuners will make or break it as far as staying in tune when used. If it is the Bennder or FR bridge, you will need a locknut. The Bennder and FR models came with locknuts, but if you bought used, it is not uncommon for the necks to have been switched for various reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Kramer was first. Epiphone bought the Kramer brand in 1998/1999. But Epiphone S-series "strats" are more akin to a Fender copy than a Kramer copy. Kramer started making their guitars more "fender-ish" when they began making them overseas.

Anyway, what model is your Epiphone strat? And what type of bridge does it have? It will either be a vintage style, Epiphone Bennder or Floyd Rose. The vintage style is like any other strat-type bridge, in that the tuners will make or break it as far as staying in tune when used. If it is the Bennder or FR bridge, you will need a locknut. The Bennder and FR models came with locknuts, but if you bought used, it is not uncommon for the necks to have been switched for various reasons.

It's a floating type. It just floats on the two peg screws as the strings are tuned. I'm not sure maybe an S-300 type. Obviously, no competition to the USA Strat more a comparison to the MIM Strat. I prefer it over the MIM Strat. I'm not sure though because I've never really had a chance to set it up.

I forgot to mention that there was the option of the 6-screw vintage style and the 2-point fulcrum for some models. So there were actually four bridge options" vintage 6-screw, 2-point fulcrum, Bennder Bridge and Floyd Rose.

The Bennder bridge is basically an oversized 2-point fulcrum in that it loads from the bottom of the block through the top and floats on two posts or screws. No real difference other than the overall size and shape, with the exception of the fine tuners. There was no double locking or clipping the string balls on these, though the Bennder seemed to need a locknut to keep it in tune, moreso than a smaller fulcrum bridge for some reason. It was meant as a cheap (really cheap) alternative to a Floyd Rose and at some point had Floyd Rose patents on it, though it wasnt actually a Floyd Rose.

I guess I should ask if your bridge has fine tuners on it? If so, then it is a Bennder. If not, it is a typical 2-point fulcrum bridge and no need for a locknut - just some really good tuners.

I forgot to mention that there was the option of the 6-screw vintage style and the 2-point fulcrum for some models. So there were actually four bridge options" vintage 6-screw, 2-point fulcrum, Bennder Bridge and Floyd Rose.

The Bennder bridge is basically an oversized 2-point fulcrum in that it loads from the bottom of the block through the top and floats on two posts or screws. No real difference other than the overall size and shape, with the exception of the fine tuners. There was no double locking or clipping the string balls on these, though the Bennder seemed to need a locknut to keep it in tune, moreso than a smaller fulcrum bridge for some reason. It was meant as a cheap (really cheap) alternative to a Floyd Rose and at some point had Floyd Rose patents on it, though it wasnt actually a Floyd Rose.

I guess I should ask if your bridge has fine tuners on it? If so, then it is a Bennder. If not, it is a typical 2-point fulcrum bridge and no need for a locknut - just some really good tuners.

No they're stock saddles from Epiphone. That's why I'm OK with it because it doesn't have the locking nut and fine tuners. It's a floating tremolo without all the fine tuning braces.

In that case, a good set of locking tuners like Sperzels should do the trick. I dont have any floating bridges other than a couple of Floyd Rose tremolos. Both of those guitars have locknuts and 18:1 ratio Gotoh-style tuners.

Even if you dont go the locking tuner route, a higher ratio tuner will help alot.

In that case, a good set of locking tuners like Sperzels should do the trick. I dont have any floating bridges other than a couple of Floyd Rose tremolos. Both of those guitars have locknuts and 18:1 ratio Gotoh-style tuners.

Even if you dont go the locking tuner route, a higher ratio tuner will help alot.

Thanks. If the guitar came without them then I'll replace with similar style tuners.

Archived