Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups?

Straydogger

A friend has a 2008 Faded Cherry Studio and we are having a heck of a time finding out exactly what pickups came stock in this guitar. It seems everyone has a different opinion on what they are. Gibson seems to change specs whenever they feel like it. Sometimes in the same model year....There are no stickers on the back of the pickups telling which model/part number they are. Any body here have a definitive answer for us? I sent an email to Gibson and have yet to get an answer. Thanks...

99% they are 490/498 or BB Pros - IF they are stock.

There is a DC resistance chart floating around somewhere that might help narrow it down between possibilities.

Here it is:

http://www.guitarfor...hp/t-24464.html

Example - If the bridge pup reads ~8K, then the probability is higher for BB Pros. OTOH, if it reads 12-13K, you're most likely looking at a 498.

If you send a serial no to Gibson customer service, they might be able to tell you exactly what the stock set was.

Thanks for the info. Gibson doesn't return my emails. I didn't know they came with BB Pros back then. We we're leaning towards 490/498 but we want to know for sure what's in there. Guitar was bought new so they are stock for sure. We'll put it to your test and see what we come up with.

99% they are 490/498 or BB Pros - IF they are stock.

There is a DC resistance chart floating around somewhere that might help narrow it down between possibilities.

Here it is:

http://www.guitarfor...hp/t-24464.html

Example - If the bridge pup reads ~8K, then the probability is higher for BB Pros. OTOH, if it reads 12-13K, you're most likely looking at a 498.

If you send a serial no to Gibson customer service, they might be able to tell you exactly what the stock set was.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the cutoff was. My '07 VM had BB Pros. I put 490/498s in it ... switched 'em back ... sold the 490/498 pups ... then sold the LP.

Good luck narrowing it down.

Did you try service AT gibson DOT com ? Sometimes it takes a day or three, but they're usually very responsive.

1411603715[/url]' post='1568533']

A friend has a 2008 Faded Cherry Studio and we are having a heck of a time finding out exactly what pickups came stock in this guitar. It seems everyone has a different opinion on what they are. Gibson seems to change specs whenever they feel like it. Sometimes in the same model year....There are no stickers on the back of the pickups telling which model/part number they are. Any body here have a definitive answer for us? I sent an email to Gibson and have yet to get an answer. Thanks...

You have to sent pics to gibson...front, back, sides..back of headstock showing sn#. Along with any questions you have pertaining to the build of the guitar.

The came out in 05 and were used in a few models including the Faded Standard and Studio. You can pull them and tell for sure. That said they are bright and Alnico V which is usually a tell tale imho.

Well, we pulled them out and there are no stickers on the back saying BB1, BB2, or anything else. MY 57 Classics have stickers and my Les Paul has BB1 and BB2 and they have stickers. Why there are no stickers on these pickups I have no idea.

Archived