Gibson Brands Forums

Everything you ever wanted to know about Gibson Min-eTune

Searcy

That's an interesting question. I've had to think about that for a minute. At this point I have the min-eTune on two of my guitars and i'm sort of doing it the same way I do a guitar with Tremolo. It's not a magical cure for everything that's wrong with modern guitars but it does serve a purpose. My collection tends to be comprised of instruments that are very different. I don't have 10 les Pauls. I don't have eight humbucker equipped SGs. Likewise I am sure I won't end up with a collection of guitars all equipped with robot tuners. But I will say this, my two main guitars now have robot tuners and I suspect they always will. I just can't see any advantage to standard tuners especially if you like to use alternate tunings on occasion.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing to me with this "robot tuning technology" is that I think some might see it subconsciously in ways as a bit of a threat.

Here's why:

Given the potential for alternative tunings, I can see a lot of guitar playing being done by younger generations of pickers in those alternatives. Some of us have done that for ages, but it takes more than a stage joke to get retuned, unless you have someone telling Leo Kottke-type stories 'stedda one-liners. On the contrary, one could simply punch a button and now you're in open G.

In the folkie era, there was a lot of that. Neo-folkies still do much of it, but then they tend to be solo or duo types of acts rather than a dance band where keeping up a rhythm of music is more important.

Yeah, I see more than just that, but it's a different paradigm available if used for more than just an occasional double check or whatever.

So... just a thought to add into the mix.

m

No argument...

I'll add that I don't have a robot tuner at all - and likely would be as happy with my old standard-tune pitch pipe as with the electronic stuff.

My only point is that once something along those lines becomes part of the culture in terms of performance, it's going to make a difference.

I'm sure, for example, there were plenty of folks who felt that gut strings should be retained instead of that nasty obscene metal wire that is better used for other purposes than music.

m

Archived