Gibson Brands Forums

P-90 pick up adjustment ES-390

DC42

Hello All...

I purchased an ES-390 with P-90's back in June. The guitar out of the box was actually pretty good. Set up was ok and there was a nice growl coming out of the amp (Mesa 5:50 Express) so I was quite pleased with things.

The usual routine is take the guitar to my trusty luthier who works his magic (as I really like his set ups). Once back at the house the little growl seemed to be missing but never payed it much mind. Fast forward some months I am convinced an adjustment was made to the pick ups (which is normal) however my ear is not feeling it. The sound is nice and chimey however it is missing again that little fur - growl that I expected.

Would adjusting the pole pieces (screws) modify this sound a bit? Thinking of running a little experiment. Just wanted some thoughts in the case anyone has tweaked these type pick ups.

Cheers...

Dave

I'm afraid I can't be much help since I've never tried to adjust P-90s. But I do own a guitar with P-92s and a 5:50. That MESA is a very touchy amp, and even the slightest adjustments to the gain can have a dramatic affect on its sound, not to mention the differences in the 5 and 50 watt settings. I also tend to scoop settings to bring out the best of those pickups.

Unless you can see shims, it is unlikely there has been much change to the adjustment of the pups. Dogears aren't easily adjustable.

I have a few thoughts, but firstly I would suggest ZIGGY is right- Mesa amps are real touchy as far as adjustments. That would be my first guess as to what is different.

Back to the guitar and the P-90: P-90 pups are REAL sensitive to the guitar they are in. Any changes to the tone of the guitar will come through in the sound of the pups a little more than most. So, where the guitar might have a little of this or that going for it, the P-90's are real sensitive to that.

It is unlikely that any changes to the action are enough to change the height of the strings relative to the pups, not enough to change things too much. BUT- if the guitar had a natural "growl" to it that was made less by action changes or string gauge or string type, I would guess you would hear that coming out of the guitar plugged in.

It certainly doesn't hurt to adjust the poles on the pups. It's easily reversable. But don't expect a lot of difference in tone. P-90s usually need pretty drastic height changes to affect the "tone", and adjusting the poles is far less effective than adjusting the hieght of the whole pup. But, try it anyway. Like I was saying, it doesn't hurt at all.

It is completely possible that the guitar is the same as it was, you are just hearing it different or playing it different.

Unless you can see shims, it is unlikely there has been much change to the adjustment of the pups. Dogears aren't easily adjustable.

I have a few thoughts, but firstly I would suggest ZIGGY is right- Mesa amps are real touchy as far as adjustments. That would be my first guess as to what is different.

Back to the guitar and the P-90: P-90 pups are REAL sensitive to the guitar they are in. Any changes to the tone of the guitar will come through in the sound of the pups a little more than most. So, where the guitar might have a little of this or that going for it, the P-90's are real sensitive to that.

It is unlikely that any changes to the action are enough to change the height of the strings relative to the pups, not enough to change things too much. BUT- if the guitar had a natural "growl" to it that was made less by action changes or string gauge or string type, I would guess you would hear that coming out of the guitar plugged in.

It certainly doesn't hurt to adjust the poles on the pups. It's easily reversable. But don't expect a lot of difference in tone. P-90s usually need pretty drastic height changes to affect the "tone", and adjusting the poles is far less effective than adjusting the hieght of the whole pup. But, try it anyway. Like I was saying, it doesn't hurt at all.

It is completely possible that the guitar is the same as it was, you are just hearing it different or playing it different.

Sound advice! Thanks Stein...

Was thinking while at lunch. Could it be something simple like strings? I had my guy put on some Ernie Ball Slinkys as I had a few packs handy. It is time for a change anyhow...may try something different.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Sound advice! Thanks Stein...

Was thinking while at lunch. Could it be something simple like strings? I had my guy put on some Ernie Ball Slinkys as I had a few packs handy. It is time for a change anyhow...may try something different.

Dave

Yes I was thinking that Dave. Your Luthier could have changed the strings on the setup. Ask him!

Archived