Gibson Brands Forums

Carry a Les Paul into a Gigbag

awel

<...>

I am a bit scared because I have heard so many story about fragility of the headstock that I don't know if I will dare [unsure]

I would never-ever carry any guitar in that thing they call a gig bag. A hardshell case, preferably a flight case is the only way to protect your guitar in transit. I prefer the ABS flight cases from SKB or Gator (I like SKB a bit better YMMV).

Gig bag is a term invented by guitar manufacturers so that they can give you a cheap piece of junk when you buy a guitar instead of a real case - and the bonus is that so many guitars will break is that they get to sell more guitars.

Notes

Every one of my guitars regardless of original price tag has a hard case. Most have been played "out."

A full-time musician friend who was a strat guy used a gig bag - but for his Taylor flattop AE, there was a hard case.

I've never broken a headstock, but I've also been awfully careful as some others above. Even on break in a gig I've almost always put the guitar in its case, whether a "board" like an SG type, an archtop or a flattop.

Ditto even at home. I had a couple of fires through the years and luckily the guitars made it through in cases on the floor, regardless of heat or firefighting water. I was lucky even then, but... without the cases...???

m

Archived