Gibson Brands Forums

Joe's pups

Marshall Paul

Just being serious for a moment (I know, doesn't happen very often), does anyone know what the pickups are that Joe Walsh uses in his LP in the clips "The Long Run" and "The Confessor"? Both open coil double whites. I'm thinking DiMarzio's but I'm not sure. Anyone know the score?

Nice call, but I don't think it could be the 103's. They weren't introduced until 2008. The long run was 1979 and The Confessor was 1985 so the time line doesn't add up unfortunately.I still think there's a good chance they could be DiMarzio's because Joe had a particular bent towards them. But the sneaky bugger's not letting on.

Probably PAF Dimarzio.... Those were the choice humbuckers for players that hacked up their Gibby Deluxe to replace those weird sounding mini-humbuckers

I love those weird sounding mini-buckers!

My Deluxe LE/Reissue; Scarlett has more Gibson tone in her than even Blue or the open-bobbin Gibson 490's I put in my Peavey JF1-EX (poor-man's ES335)

I pull my most serious classic/vintage Les Paul tone out of that axe with those minis!

Sorry Paul I know nothing about those open-bobbin pickups in Joe's Lester...

Nice call, but I don't think it could be the 103's. They weren't introduced until 2008. The long run was 1979 and The Confessor was 1985 so the time line doesn't add up unfortunately.I still think there's a good chance they could be DiMarzio's because Joe had a particular bent towards them. But the sneaky bugger's not letting on.

That's just Joe's way...

He's been, at times, very secretive over guitar things in his career. Sometimes hovering over and mother-henning his guitar & gear hiding it from audience and camera angle...

At one point I was morally certain that Les Paul had lent him his little black box."

I love the encore jam he took part in with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac at The Boston Tea Party in 1970 when The James Gang opened for them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIKg6c_VqVk

Talk about a Les Paul lovers wet-dream... Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, and Joe Walsh cutting loose!

Dimarzio had PAF clones back in the mid 70's ..... They didnt have the hex pole screws like the Superdistortions

Yeah, but...still not totally convinced it's all PAF here. My ears know PAF and it's not completely that. My gut feeling everytime I hear this particular LP is...well. I think the sumb!tch has gone combo on this. I reckon it could be 103b bridge and 100n neck. Could very well be wrong but, that's what I'm hearing. What about you?

Listening to Stevie Nicks over the radio while I type this. You know Joe used to date her? (lucky Joe!!).

Yeah, but...still not totally convinced it's all PAF here. My ears know PAF and it's not completely that. My gut feeling everytime I hear this particular LP is...well. I think the sumb!tch has gone combo on this. I reckon it could be 103b bridge and 100n neck. Could very well be wrong but, that's what I'm hearing. What about you?

Listening to Stevie Nicks over the radio while I type this. You know Joe used to date her? (lucky Joe!!).

My 2013 Trad has PAF non wax potted clones, and they can sound like a lot of things..... One thing about Dimarzio's you can always count on them to be on the hot-side, regrdless of what platform you get..... I've used vintage 70 Dimarzios for years and have them on my 1988 Gibson U2, And two of my 1981 Charvel Strats... And none of them sound the same...lol

Archived