Gibson Brands Forums

Old Jumbo demos

tpbiii

Hi all.

A couple of years ago, David Dugas came over to our house and played some of our old Gibsons. I then sort of harvested parts of that as short demos for the guitars. The one for the RSSD has been posted a lot, but not the others. I thought maybe people here would like to see them

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom,

What a great selection of guitars in these clips! I've seen these all before, but I sate through them twice more this morning.

Hard to choose a favorite, as they all have such immense character, but if forced, I'd take the '36 AJ or the '35 OJ #2.

Of course, David Dugas could play a cigar box with a broomstick for a neck and a single gut string and make it sound like a million bucks. Great cross-picking style!.

What's the tune he uses on a lot of these demo's, specifically on the '35 OJ #2 and the 1935 Radio Grande? It's so familiar, but I don't have a name for it.

Thanks for sharing these again.

(Nice Santa costume, by the way. Sort of Johnny Cash does Santa.)

Tom,

What a great selection of guitars in these clips! I've seen these all before, but I sate through them twice more this morning.

Hard to choose a favorite, as they all have such immense character, but if forced, I'd take the '36 AJ or the '35 OJ #2.

Of course, David Dugas could play a cigar box with a broomstick for a neck and a single gut string and make it sound like a million bucks. Great cross-picking style!.

What's the tune he uses on a lot of these demo's, specifically on the '35 OJ #2 and the 1935 Radio Grande? It's so familiar, but I don't have a name for it.

Thanks for sharing these again.

(Nice Santa costume, by the way. Sort of Johnny Cash does Santa.)

Those are actually my favorites too -- both are killer BG guitars, which is not said all that often about Gibsons. For me, listening to them from videos that faithfully captures their sound gives me a different class of information that I don't really totally get from playing them. All of them seem to be the top of different people's list based -- on these recording.

The song is Cascade -- at least what David Greer called it according to David Dugas.

The most surprising thing to me about the whole session was David's response to the RSSD -- he just LOVED it whereas it was probably my least favorite when he came over. Now I see it in a whole different light -- the touch of the Master's hand I guess.

Best.

-Tom

Archived