Gibson Brands Forums

Holiday song thread

AnneS

This thread was suggested in another post, seeing as how many of us are bringing out the seasonal tunes.

Since I just saw Tommy Lee Jone's "The Homesman" yesterday (loved it) and seeing as that made me come home and re-watch most of "Lonesome Dove," here's what started tugging at my sleeve as I thought about holiday songs:

Christmas for Cowboys

(Steve Weisberg's song, brought to must of us by John Denver)

Next up?..

Excellent song Anne. Steve Weisberg was an acquaintance of mine, even stopping in to my office to jam a bit every October, and taught me this song - he showed me one lick, and said, 'you can easily figure the rest out.' Right. John Denver had asked Steve to write a Christmas song for performing on his upcoming Christmas special on TV. He sweated about this song for months, actually writing next to nothing, until the airplane flight to LA to tape the show. John was blown away, and insisted that the only instrumentation needed was Steve on his guitar. On the recording for the album, the only addition was a chimey type thing on the third verse, otherwise this was all Steve.

Steve passed away last year - but this song surely will leave a lasting mark.You've done a wonderful version.

Indulge me for repeating an earlier post here, but I am not done writing my Santa song for this year (gonna be about indoor plumbing). [biggrin]

Hey Sal, thanks for grabbing all the stray holiday song links! And thanks for treating us to a Song for a Winter Night and reminding me what a good one that is. Nice job!

Dan, I didn't recall your connection with Steve Weisberg, but now I recall your video from '12 and remember how your chording hand was cleverly hidden from view! I enjoyed that, and it made me realize I should've brushed up on it instead of playing from my groggy memory- maybe I'd've got the chords right! :)

This is fun- keep 'em coming.

Hey Sal, thanks for grabbing all the stray holiday song links! And thanks for treating us to a Song for a Winter Night and reminding me what a good one that is. Nice job!

Dan, I didn't recall your connection with Steve Weisberg, but now I recall your video from '12 and remember how your chording hand was cleverly hidden from view! I enjoyed that, and it made me realize I should've brushed up on it instead of playing from my groggy memory- maybe I'd've got the chords right! :)

This is fun- keep 'em coming.

The progression is relatively simple, and so are the "embellishments" but it takes a bit of learning. Steve was always amazed at how differently folks played the song. Starts with Fmaj 7 to C, E7, Am7, Fmaj7, C, G, and then back again. With all the little frills in between.

I wrote a new song for this thread, fully intending it to be about Santa Claus and indoor plumbing, but I grabbed the Legend to write it, and a rather morose little number about a Box-Top Tambourine leaked out. I'll sit and record it in the next day or two - it is a Christmas song, but its a rather morose contemplative piece. I think the Legend has too thick a neck, and too thick a voice to write a happy song... or could be that my skull is too thick...

Archived