Gibson Brands Forums

120 Anniversary Les Paul

kytty

I've got a Traditional and love it. Great tone and playability. ( I like the 50s neck). Some complain about what they refer to as the 'cheesy' 12th fret inlay but I kind of like it myself. To each his own. IMHO Gibson ruined this guitar in 2015 and if I hadn't already shelled out big bucks for an ES-355, I'd be grabbing another 2014 before they are all gone.

I have the Les Paul Signature in Caribbean Blue and it is the love of my life! This is my first Gibson and it is first LP I just couldn't resist. That finish and the features were just perfect for me. That blue against the brown of the mahogany looks incredible. Lucky for me it doesn't just look good. I think the 120th inlay is nice too. Yeah people might say its cheesy but I can't see why...I wish I would have swapped the pickguard because not long after I got it, my playing has worn in into near nothingness.

I bought a 2013 studio sunburst in September and like another post I do not like what Gibson has done with the 2015s so last week I picked up the last 2014 studio Sweetwater had it is a vintage finish red burst. Rosewood neck, nice pickups and a great sound. You can't go wrong. Oh yah the 120 Aniversary inlay... It grows on you.

JD

i bought a studio pro back in march. one of the big reasons i even looked at it is the inlay. i really dig it, and they're not gonna use that inlay ever again. maybe they made a million of 'em, i dunno. but i like mine pretty good. i think the strat plays better, but the lp has a tone that i have to have, so i play it more. oh, it's also lighter than my strat, which surprises alot of people who hear it first, and assume it's solid. i got an obscenely good deal on it too, so that helped. it came to me very well set up. i haven't changed anything. if i HAD to complain about something it would be the "plek-cut" nut. if i don't keep some nut sauce in it, the G & the D bind up at the point of being just the tiniest bit flat, then jump from there to being sharp. it's not something that really bugs me, tbo. if i tune it to pitch and put it in the case for a few days or a week while i play something else, all the strings are flat by some amount. i need to file the nut just a smidge, and i'm thinking maybe some locking tuners. other than that, it's a really cool guitar.

I've got a 2014 Studio in Honeyburst (great finish) and its a great guitar. There are some small things I found could be better (sharp edge on the fretboard; wasn't sanded very evenly!) but I still love it. The inlay is something I like. And I've got my eyes on a 40th anniversary LP next so it's definitely not a put-off for me; it makes it feel sort of special!

What did you put in it?

SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers - love 'em. They even sound great when they're split.

For controls I took the board out and wired it JP style with 4 push/pulls. Some Day I plan to try a set of a set of SD Triple Shot rings for switching and go back to standard pots.

Duncan is the best in my book I just put a set of Texas Hot antiquities in my Strat and and a Hot Rod set in my Signature T JB Jazz. I took my Les Paul Classic and put an Alnico 5 magnet in the 57 and had Searcy rewind the Bridge to JB specs, added Raw nickel covers WOW! Good stuff. My black strat has an SSL-3 but Fender stock neck and middle I am thinking SSL 2s for them next.

I love Duncans ... my PRS will likely get a set of P-Rails with TS rings some time in '15.

Duncan is the best in my book I just put a set of Texas Hot antiquities in my Strat and and a Hot Rod set in my Signature T JB Jazz. I took my Les Paul Classic and put an Alnico 5 magnet in the 57 and had Searcy rewind the Bridge to JB specs, added Raw nickel covers WOW! Good stuff. My black strat has an SSL-3 but Fender stock neck and middle I am thinking SSL 2s for them next.

Hey D Ray if you ever get a chance try some Amalfitano strat pups they are freakin amazing have a set of SVL Daytonas in one of my strats, I've never heard a Strat sound so good clear as a bell all up and down the neck clean with dirt even better [thumbup]

Archived