Gibson Brands Forums

Large Headstock

Victory Pete

I bought an SG 61 Reissue in 2006, I noticed it had a large headstock like a LP custom. I had a 1991 SG-62 and I don't remember if it had a large headstock or not. I just bought a 2014 SG 61 Standard and it is identical to the 61 reissue except it has the smaller headstock. What have you got?

ALL my '61 SG (Les Paul) derived guitars have the period correct larger head-stock. The main difference, in the (non-Custom Shop)

reissues, is the "shape!" The original version, and the CS versions have a more "squared" appearance, with less flaring

of the points, the upper bout. Otherwise, they're pretty much the same size, as the original '61's.

270fd228-450f-46b0-8544-1f5411651592_zps53a03e0b.jpg

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

CB

ALL my '61 SG (Les Paul) derived guitars have the period correct larger head-stock. The main difference, in the (non-Custom Shop)

reissues, is the "shape!" The original version, and the CS versions have a more "squared" appearance, with less flaring

of the points, the upper bout. Otherwise, they're pretty much the same size, as the original '61's.

270fd228-450f-46b0-8544-1f5411651592_zps53a03e0b.jpg

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

CB

What years are those?

They're all recent "Reissues." The top one ('61 SG "Satin" reissue), is a 2012, all the other's (Kirk Douglas SG Custom,

SG "Original," and '61 Les Paul Tribute), are all 2013, models. All have period correct beveling, and horn tapering,

as well. All have had bone nuts put in, at time of purchase, to replace the stock "Corian" versions.

CB

They're all recent "Reissues." The top one ('61 SG "Satin" reissue), is a 2012, all the other's (Kirk Douglas SG Custom,

(SG "Original," and '61 Les Paul Tribute), are all 2013, models. All have period correct beveling, and horn tapering,

as well. All have had bone nuts put in, at time of purchase, to replace the stock "Corian" versions.

CB

Which ones are Custom Shop?

None! They're all Gibson USA versions. I looked at CS version (that most closely matched the SG "Original")

and actually liked the "Original" better. It was livelier, unplugged, than the CS model, which was surprisingly

"dull=dead" sounding, unplugged. Plugged in, they both sounded great, but I still preferred the "Original!"

And, it has a stunning grain pattern, and finish. The fingerboard IS "Rosewood" but was naturally so dark,

I thought it was Ebony. But, the ones I have are all Great players, and sound absolutely Awesome, to me!

It really wasn't a matter of "cost," (Custom Shop vs Gibson USA) to me. More how they felt, sounded, and looked.

And, I'd never say that all CS versions are like the one I tried. They're like any...some are truly Great, other's

not as much, in my experience. Case by case! :)

Cheers,

CB

Archived