Gibson Brands Forums

about to be an SG owner...fake or not?

dreadpirateben

What's up everyone!? Firstly this is my first post ever and I'm stoked to be a part of the group. I was originally looking for to trade my Gibson J15 acoustic for a Gibson Les Paul signaure T or Classic plus money on my end. I got offered a 2005 61 Reissue SG equipped with 57 classics for my Gibson J15 acoustic, straight trade. He was in the process of changing the hardwear to gold, which is why the pickup covers are gold and he upgraded the volume pots. From all the research I've done, the 61 reissue is the way to go. Now several years ago I had a similar trade go down and I got burned...badly haha. I traded my Taylor 214 ce for a "Gibson" SG Standard. I was young and dumb and didn't know what to look for when trading/purchasing a used Gibson. Now I like to think I have a little more knowledge ;) Pictures are posted below. Everything from the pics check out as far as the bridge having pins instead of screws, the toggle not having a hex nut, binding on the neck looks solid. and the serial number checks out 034150381. But you know, can't blame me for being a skeptic after my past experience haha. What do you guys think?

post-68181-056629200 1419743398_thumb.jpg

post-68181-086689400 1419743407_thumb.jpg

post-68181-065129300 1419743415_thumb.jpg

post-68181-070258900 1419743423_thumb.jpg

What's up everyone!? Firstly this is my first post ever and I'm stoked to be a part of the group. I was originally looking for to trade my Gibson J15 acoustic for a Gibson Les Paul signaure T or Classic plus money on my end. I got offered a 2005 61 Reissue SG equipped with 57 classics for my Gibson J15 acoustic, straight trade. He was in the process of changing the hardwear to gold, which is why the pickup covers are gold and he upgraded the volume pots. From all the research I've done, the 61 reissue is the way to go. Now several years ago I had a similar trade go down and I got burned...badly haha. I traded my Taylor 214 ce for a "Gibson" SG Standard. I was young and dumb and didn't know what to look for when trading/purchasing a used Gibson. Now I like to think I have a little more knowledge ;) Pictures are posted below. Everything from the pics check out as far as the bridge having pins instead of screws, the toggle not having a hex nut, binding on the neck looks solid. and the serial number checks out 034150381. But you know, can't blame me for being a skeptic after my past experience haha. What do you guys think?

WHERE are you getting it. Original owner, music store, E-bay, etc.? Ask a LOT of questions, and "if in doubt, pass!" There

will always be other's, that come along. IF you're getting it from an authorized Gibson dealer, it's a lot more apt to be Legit.

Good Luck!

CB

I don't like the frets over the binding and the black spray paint in the control cavity

+1

2005 - 9 years might require a refret for a #1 player. As CB commented - ask a lot of questions, including about the apparent refret and the control cavitiy mods.

Archived