Gibson Brands Forums

Lp junior special vs 90's lp special

Ale84

The best one I've ever owned was the 75/55 (produced 1975, 1955 reissue model) if you can deal with just a stop tail piece and P100 pick ups.

Here's a recent model which I know is really good as I own one - no affiliation:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cefdac3b2

The frets on mine needed some attention from emery cloth on the beveled section as they left them pretty rough to the touch.

I can't be of much help with the 1990s models but I have tried the 2015s and they hold no interest for me.

If you are still here, the 90's models are kinda a step up compared to a lot.

Of corse, unless we are comparing specific models, we can only make generalizations.

Basically it's like this: Externally, the 90's models tend to be more "correct" and have a more fuller spec as far as the model is concerned. Binding on the neck, gloss finish, etc. By "fuller" spec, I mean to say closer to what a "Special" would be, according to what a 50's or 60's Special is.

Compared to a lot of the modern ones, depending on the model and year, there would be corners cut to make it more affordable, like skipping the binding or having a matte finish.

Another thing that might make the 90's ones more desirable is that it is sort of like a "reissue" without it being a custom shop, while in the later years the Special label applies to a lot of different guitars and configurations that, while still of a certain level of quality, still means a cheaper guitar.

If you are still here, the 90's models are kinda a step up compared to a lot.

Of corse, unless we are comparing specific models, we can only make generalizations.

Basically it's like this: Externally, the 90's models tend to be more "correct" and have a more fuller spec as far as the model is concerned. Binding on the neck, gloss finish, etc. By "fuller" spec, I mean to say closer to what a "Special" would be, according to what a 50's or 60's Special is.

Compared to a lot of the modern ones, depending on the model and year, there would be corners cut to make it more affordable, like skipping the binding or having a matte finish.

Another thing that might make the 90's ones more desirable is that it is sort of like a "reissue" without it being a custom shop, while in the later years the Special label applies to a lot of different guitars and configurations that, while still of a certain level of quality, still means a cheaper guitar.

so it seems i took the right decision because i placed the order for the 1994..i'll report back as soon as i get it

I have a 1998 Les Paul Special SL with 490/498 pickups that sounds and plays excellent. I also have a 2012 Les Paul Junior Special with P90s with the P90 tone I love. The only thing is they generate slight noise. Both guitars have the singing sustain I like from good pickups.

Archived