Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Explorer

I Looked Away

Hoping for some help. I found a cream colored Made in Korea Epiphone Explorer for $169 at a pawnshop. It may have been white when new, I can't tell. I can not find this guitar anywhere on the internet. The unusual things being, that it has uncovered humbuckers, the front of the headstock is the same color as the body. it has no dents or scratches and it does not have a pickguard and appears that it never did. Also it has a tremelo bar much in the style of a Fender Strat.

I have never seen one on an explorer with a color matched headstock in the cream color. The rosewood fretboard is not very dark either. I have found a 1989 cream color MIK Epiphone Tele and it has the cream "Explorer" headstock. I also remember seeing the old Epiphone Strats with the cream "Explorer" headstocks. BTW, it has a bolt-on neck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hoping for some help. I found a cream colored Made in Korea Epiphone Explorer for $169 at a pawnshop. It may have been white when new, I can't tell. I can not find this guitar anywhere on the internet. The unusual things being, that it has uncovered humbuckers, the front of the headstock is the same color as the body. it has no dents or scratches and it does not have a pickguard and appears that it never did. Also it has a tremelo bar much in the style of a Fender Strat.

I have never seen one on an explorer with a color matched headstock in the cream color. The rosewood fretboard is not very dark either. I have found a 1989 cream color MIK Epiphone Tele and it has the cream "Explorer" headstock. I also remember seeing the old Epiphone Strats with the cream "Explorer" headstocks. BTW, it has a bolt-on neck. Any ideas? Thanks.

I bought it today for $100, It is Made in Korea and has a letter S + 8 digits for the serial # -S93080041 . I think that makes it a guitar made in August of 1993. The S stands for Samick. I cleaned up the volume pot and it sounds fine and plays good. Not a clear pic but here it is:

post-69646-092511400 1419893546_thumb.jpg

If you look at the wiki (above) it fits the profile for a 93 (bolt on neck and vintage trem) the only thing that doesn't is the colour - I guess they may have played with colour schemes at the end of the run to sell them before the updated (set neck) model came out?

Archived