Gibson Brands Forums

How do you know when its time? Updated with results video

Rabs

For the original question though...

My current telecaster is(was) my #1 gigger and went out for literally thousands of nights. It's 18 years old now. It is about to get its third volume pot. I don't know why on that guitar, but I just have worn them terribly. They either don't make them like they used to or I just got more violent in my turn ups as I aged. The rest of them, even the Les Paul that is just about as old and been to all the same gigs as that tele, it is just fine on its single pot that I use. My strat is 12, been out some, treated just the same, one pot, it is fine too.

It's weird like that.

rct

For the original question though...

My current telecaster is(was) my #1 gigger and went out for literally thousands of nights. It's 18 years old now. It is about to get its third volume pot. I don't know why on that guitar, but I just have worn them terribly. They either don't make them like they used to or I just got more violent in my turn ups as I aged. The rest of them, even the Les Paul that is just about as old and been to all the same gigs as that tele, it is just fine on its single pot that I use. My strat is 12, been out some, treated just the same, one pot, it is fine too.

It's weird like that.

rct

I'd be interested to know, what was it that went bad about the pot? What was the "failure mode" or whatever you might call it that made it need replacing?

I'd be interested to know, what was it that went bad about the pot? What was the "failure mode" or whatever you might call it that made it need replacing?

Chronic intermittence that no amount of cleaner and exercise will prevent. Like, cue'd up, quiet in the house, red light comes on reaches for volume gets nothing real fast moves volume down then up nothing down then up scratches nothing down then up recorder hears aahhgaddammitalltafukkinfukkswhathe.

That kind of intermittence. Intermittant. You know.

rct

First mistake was he didn't buy American made

Well it was his first guitar as I say... The sentimental value on such guitars, especially one you have been playing almost 30 years cant really be valued..

Its probably all he could afford at the time..

Plus a good guitar is a good guitar no matter where it was made or how much it cost..

Archived