Gibson Brands Forums

Nut question LP Classic

daveinspain

Hey guys got a question about my nut.... I just did a string change on my classic. Everything turned out great, sounds better than ever... Just one thing I noticed, a slight buzz from my D string when playing open G. Everything else sounds great, action is good, neck is set, bridge height etc. So I was a bit perplexed why I was getting a little buzz on open G from the D string. It's not that bad actually but bugs me. Everything else sounds clean... So then I have a good look at the nut and I notice that the D string seems to sit in it's groove in the nut deeper than all the other strings. Hmmm, could this be giving me that slight buzz in open G chord. If I fret the D string any where on the neck there isn't any buzz at all. I'm thinking the groove was cut a hair too deep and I'm getting the buzz from the first fret. If that is the case is there any way I can fill that slot in the nut a bit? I don't want to replace the nut and as I said the buzz is not that bad but being a Sound Engineer I bugs me...

Just because the string looks like it's deeper doesn't mean that it's lower. It could be there's excess material between the slots that would need to be remedied by reshaping the top of the nut. To see if the slot is too low, use a feeler gauge under the strings (there are other ways to test the "nut relief" or slot height such as the "tap test" but it's easier to do it than to describe it).

If your suspicions are accurate and the slot is too low, it's still hard to see how it would cause it to buzz that way. It might be the slot is not at the correct angle.

I would try to see if pressing down on the D string between the nut and the tuner dampens the vibration you're noticing. Then explain it to a tech who can fix it with the proper nut slot files in no time. Yes, if a nut slot has been cut too deeply it can be filled with cyanoacrylate glue and either baking soda or bone dust, but it's a temporary fix and it still requires skillful filing with the right tools. See where I'm going with this? Take it to a good tech. Let us know how it turns out.

Archived