Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Tuning Advice

Priority Four

I have a 2014 standard J45 that I am really happy with, but I can not seem to tune it quickly onstage or off for that mater. I get a string close and then blow right by 440. I have the standard Grover Rotomatics 14:1 ratio I think. I have the same tuners on other guitars and have no problems, but those are longer scale guitars so I'm wondering if the lower string tension on the shorter scale J45 has something to do with it. Any thoughts?

No better way to spend a night

Steady there, BBG- you'll soon be having OWF taking that ball & running with it.

Before you put anything on your white nut which can get an unsightly appearance with time, try getting in the habit of stretching the string from just north of the fretboard extension up and over(well, slight pulling upward) as you go up the 'board towards the nut) with the thumb and index finger when you tune up; this is very useful when you're close to tune, but don't want to upset a difficult tuner, or if there is an issue with binding at the nut. This also helps when the strings are fairly new.

Interesting thing about string stretching: most of the time, your clip-on tuner will tell you that you've just stretched the string and equalized some tension, as tuning has dropped, but if you were attempting to tune up, and there was binding at the nut, there will be more tension above the nut, and after the stretch, the tension equalizes, and the string will now be sharp.

You may want to look at other guitars to get an idea of how deep the strings should sit in their nut slots.

The guitar has a black graph tek nut so the graphite would'nt show. The nut looks good, I think it really is that I am not used to the tension. I have only played long scale guitars for years. Maybe I have some muscle memory to overcome. The pressure of getting it tuned before I need to come in is not helping. I may just need to chill.

I am going to suggest to my wife that I buy another identical guitar and hire a guitar tech intern (that's the term for a a kid who you talk into doing a job for the "experience" so you don't have to pay them right?) to tune it and bring it to me on stage between songs.

I should update my medical insurance first.

I am going to suggest to my wife that I buy another identical guitar and hire a guitar tech intern (that's the term for a a kid who you talk into doing a job for the "experience" so you don't have to pay them right?) to tune it and bring it to me on stage between songs.

I should update my medical insurance first.

You really NEED this update ... msp_biggrin.gif

Archived