Gibson Brands Forums

HELP, Songwriter Delux Studio

jbw59

I played this today at a retailer and I thought it did not have a pick-up. It did but there are no controls, just a plug hole on the tail. The retailer was not familiar with it.

Anyone out there who can help; does it have an internal battery or is it a passive pick-up that works off the electrical current of the cord/amp..? It played and sounded great. Thanks in advance for your feedback/education.

What year is it? If it is a recent model, it will have an LRBaggs Element pickup installed, which has a volume knob just at the bass side lip of the sound hole. It is an active pickup with a 9v battery in a battery bag attached inside at the neck block.

What year is it? If it is a recent model, it will have an LRBaggs Element pickup installed, which has a volume knob just at the bass side lip of the sound hole. It is an active pickup with a 9v battery in a battery bag attached inside at the neck block.

Thx. I believe it was a 2014. I'll go by again today and check it out. Went there looking at a Taylor 816 and saw the Gibson. Two very different sounds. Gibson quality ? It looks like you have the Studio I am asking about. Are acoustics quality questionable as the electrics are or have been ? Your thoughts..?

Thx. I believe it was a 2014. I'll go by again today and check it out. Went there looking at a Taylor 816 and saw the Gibson. Two very different sounds. Gibson quality ? It looks like you have the Studio I am asking about. Are acoustics quality questionable as the electrics are or have been ? Your thoughts..?

Some may have noticed already, but I have traded my 2008 Songwriter Deluxe Studio for a 2014 Taylor 814ce. I never thought I would hear and play a spruce/rosewood guitar that would surpass my Songwriter but the Taylor is simply amazing. I still have my outstanding, guitar or a lifetime, J200 so I'm still able to hold my head up here! :)

All that being said, the Gibson Songwriter is an amazing instrument. I think it is severely underrated. It is comfortable to play and has the beautiful articulation and scooped mids you'd expect of a smaller bodied spruce/rosewood square shouldered acoustic. For my Songwriter, within months of buying it, I replace the Baggs Element with a Bagg active iBeam. I can't say enough about this pickup. I've never liked any under-saddle pickups. The Element might be the best of them, but it is still a brittle sounding pickup compared to the SBT type pickup like the iBeam.

I've played a number of Songwriters and they are all terrific instruments. I think the Standard sounds a bit better, though I like the looks of the Studio better than the Standard. I think the ebony fretboard and the darker rosewood of the Standards sound and feel better than the lighter rosewood B/S and the rosewood fretboard of the Studio.

Just my $0.02.

Archived