Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you go for your music

Joenavy

I bought a Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro and Fender amp 2 weeks ago. I haven't owned a guitar in about 25 years. I absolutely love playing this guitar.

When I was playing before we would get together and everyone would have song books which was how we learned songs. Now there are a lot of sites that show you songs but I've found a lot of incorrect versions that way.

Does anyone buy song books anymore?

What are your favorite sites for music?

What about YouTube?

I find a lot of the websites really hit and miss as well. I mostly use Ultimate Guitar, but again some tabs on there are absolutely terrible, and there's a lot of songs you won't find on there, especially from smaller artists and bands. I also find with a lot of websites is that people will take exactly what's already been published in a book and put it online, at which point the tab becomes almost unreadable and far too long. Personally I've never really used song books (with the exception of when I first started playing), so I can't really say much about them. YouTube can be pretty helpful, especially if the song is well known, in which case the tutorials are usually pretty good. Again, I've never really went that route too much, but the few times I have I've been pretty impressed. The way I get most of my music is from my guitar teacher. Sometimes I'll take in a tab I printed off that has the main parts correct but need a little tweaking here and there and we'll figure it out, or I just go in with a song I want to learn and we'll start from scratch.

Yes, YouTube. Although you still have to keep an ear out for whether it's right. Some individual posters are good, some less so, then there are a couple of more pro (but still free) channels I use occasionally: rockongoodpeople, guitarjamzdotcom, martyzsongs, Pete Thorn, Texas Blues Alley.

You tube lessons are fantastic, but there's no guarantee you'll find what you're looking for. you can probably expect to find a lot of stuff out there all the same.

especially the standard classic stuff, (Zepplin, Beatles, etc..).

For download able sheet music, Music Notes has a lot of stuff, you have to pay for it, but it's definitely a good site to hit if you're looking for something you have to have. I play piano as well as guitar and I can't count the times I've found correctly transcribed piano music.

Ultimate guitar tabs can sometimes get you in the ball park, but like already mentioned some of them are a total joke, not even close.

Echords site is pretty good. worth looking at for sure, but to get the most of out if, you sort of have to subscribe, it's not expensive, and they have some cool features like transposing songs etc. Good stuff to be found there.

Chordy is another site, and it also lets you transpose, I don't remember if you have to pay for a membership there tho..

Welcome back ! and Good luck!

Archived