Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Cocker - A Little Help From My Friends - Woodstock 1969

4Hayden

I also thought he suffered from some debilitating disease or syndrome such as some slight hint of Cerebral Palsy or some related ailment... I literally was ignorant enough to think that and I felt sorry for him...

The between John Belushi and John Byner, not to mention

that used to make fun of his style in live comic impersonations, I began to wonder if he truly suffered from any real disease at all. Especially when in the 1980's during his comeback, that lasted for quite a long time, he appeared "cured" and/or perfectly normal... It wasn't until much later that I came to learn it was simply his style...

Either way he's one of my alltime favorites. I think there is something simply sublime about him and The Grease Band and Mad Dogs and Englishmen.

Always loved this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNJj6MsGfI

From Woodstock I especially liked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0gGRTDmqVM

I've always loved that voice and wished I could sing like that! (or at all for that matter)

No love for Joe? MUCH love for Joe. I have loved him for as long as I can remember. In 2008 I was asked to submit a cover song for a Six String Biss album that was featuring songs from TV shows. Here was my pick.

No love for Joe? MUCH love for Joe. I have loved him for as long as I can remember. In 2008 I was asked to submit a cover song for a Six String Biss album that was featuring songs from TV shows. Here was my pick.

At first no one was responding , that's what I meant by no love for Joe.

Nice choice Searcy

At first no one was responding , that's what I meant by no love for Joe.

Nice choice Searcy

I know what yo meant. I'm just messing with you.

I'll never forget the first time my mother got into Joe. She went nuts for that song he did with that chick "Love Lift Us Up". I mean my mom went nut for him but had never seen him and didn;t know who he was. She just loved that voice. Then there was some award show that year where he was going to do the song live so my mother had to watch it. Jennifer Warnes is on stage singing her part and them Joe steps out for his part in a white tux with his crazy hair and wild beard and my mom though it was a joke. "Who is that ugly man? Why is he acting like that? What's wrong with him?" I think my mother was thinking someone who looked like Clint Walker would step out.

I'll never forget that. [thumbup]

I know what yo meant. I'm just messing with you.

I'll never forget the first time my mother got into Joe. She went nuts for that song he did with that chick "Love Lift Us Up". I mean my mom went nut for him but had never seen him and didn;t know who he was. She just loved that voice. Then there was some award show that year where he was going to do the song live so my mother had to watch it. Jennifer Warnes is on stage singing her part and them Joe steps out for his part in a white tux with his crazy hair and wild beard and my mom though it was a joke. "Who is that ugly man? Why is he acting like that? What's wrong with him?" I think my mother was thinking someone who looked like Clint Walker would step out.

I'll never forget that. [thumbup]

That's some funny sh!t right there!

But I remember that time, mostly I recall on most live performances his "ways/style" were way tamed from his late 60's performances. I never even put together the Joe Cocker of the 80's with the original Woodstock tie-dyed shirt guy who sang "With A Little Help From My Friends" that I'd seen in retro-pieces on MTV...

I didn't really discover The Grease Band or Mad Dogs & Englishmen until into my 40's... But I was immediately smitten with him/them.

There's just something about that voice coming out of that true human being that slaps you in the face with its humanity and a unique quality that is uncanny...

Like I said, if there's a voice I wish I could choose for myself to sound like as a singer, it would be him! He's got some Ray Charles quality to him a little like Steve Winwood and a deep and powerful soulful from the inside type voice that I admire...

And I will admit I laughed my @$ off at John Byner doing his comic impression of him on his Bizarre variety/comedy show (that had to be heavily censored for television even on cable) with his co-host; Bob Einstein; the guy who played Super Dave Osborne, standing on asking him what he was doing and chastising him was one of the funniest bits I've ever seen... I can't seem to find that clip from the Bizarre show...

Let's reminisce w/Super Dave Osborne the naive but optimistic stuntman/dare-devil... And his stunt coordiantor that he called Quasimodo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXAH2DfRaHs&feature=youtu.be

Archived