Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard versus Les Paul Custom

PelhamBlueFire

To expand a bit further, I was against richlite when I thought I had played it, I thought the Parker Fly was richlite. It was in fact Carbon Glass Epoxy that I didnt like at all, so I went back and tried richlite. I have to admit I actually liked it, it is alot like a finished maple strat neck in feel. I could totally live with a richlite fretboard feel much better than the idea of it. I got to be honest other than being black I dont like the feel of ebony at all. Now the whole MIDI statement has thrown me I have no idea what we are talking about there.

Love everything about this post, D [thumbup]

First - richlite, I know others must have said the same somewhere, but that's the first post I've seen by someone who feels like I do and... has actually tried it with an open mind! Nice one, less scared of it myself now. I have some maple strats and teles - I've grown to quite like the feel, although I much prefer the look of a nice piece of rosewood.

Then, Ebony - yay! I've always thought I was a bit odd for not getting the "wonderful feel" of ebony that everyone else seems to love. :rolleyes:

And then "Now the whole MIDI statement has thrown me I have no idea what we are talking about there." ... I just fell about laughing. I don't mind a bit of MIDI, I even use it a bit... But I have it on keyboards and drum modules and such... I'm afraid, even though I can see some attractions, I really don't want it on my guitars!!! :lol:

In my opinion, everything is wrong about the 2015 Les Pauls. Gibson needs to take some notes here, because lots of people that always loved Les Paul just for how they are, now start to get a little irritated. Count me in, as well. It's why I hunted down a 2014 Les Paul, before the 2015 versions came out. The writing on the headstock, the shitty hologram, and the wider fretboard are all poor changes. On the 2014, it's just a matter of getting used to the tuning system, or you can take it off. If you elect to take the Min-Etuners off, you will just have a normal looking Les Paul. You can't do that with a 2015 LP.

But now that we're talking about Standards versus Custom Shop, I have to bring up my biggest gripe with the 2015 line-up. And that's the huge price increase. I learned recently that a 2015 Les Paul sells for about 3100 euros here. Really, Gibson? That's getting into the Custom Shop territory. We're seeing the price increase with 700-900 euros on Les Pauls Standards from one year to the other. That's insane, and you can't defend that. Next year, I'm buying a Custom Shop Les Paul. The prices aren't a factor anymore, since there's really not that big of a difference between a Standard and a Custom anymore. If anything, I think it's better to buy a Custom, because they are usually flawless and very well inspected.

I agree, I was horrified when I looked at the 2015 Traditionals ..... what is traditional about that ugly headstock? The tuning thing and hologram? I now have to look for a secondhand model; the competition must be laughing; Paul Reed Smith should sell more guitars this year! I'm kicking myself because I found a beautiful Goldtop, brand new, old stock that was going for £1,200! I didn't get it because I was afraid of divorce..... another guitar, what do you want with another guitar... you have money to burn etc.....

The Custom Shop models vary considerably, from amazing to unplayable, when you have one in your hands that feels right, that's the one! Mine has aged hardware and was very dull, I made it shine, and will change the hardware for shiny bits... even the screws are rusty! I don't understand why anyone would wish to have a new guitar that looks like one that has been left out in all weathers..... ! We are all different I suppose!

Custom or Standard are both equally great instruments. Whilst I dislike the features of the Standards the last couple of years, they are still very playable guitars and well made.

With regard to the Custom, I agree with some of comments about ebony being superior to Richlite. Luckily, my '57 Reissue Custom with ebony board I got just before all the problems Gibson had and I'm really glad I did. I'd buy a used Custom now (pre wood crisis) if I wanted another one, just for the Ebony board.

LP Standard wise, the Custom Shop R8's are the best option at the moment and cost just a tad more than the USA Standards. I've played a few recently and am very impressed by them all. I've never owned a Standard, but I do have a Classic 1960 and a Traditional Pro I which are both fine instruments.

Archived