Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday song . for Sal

blindboygrunt

This is such a tough song. The playing and chords are pretty easy (at least I think they are to me and you), but my voice was not right for it. I think a big part of the effect of this song is when he sings "to melt your icy blue hear..... hear... hearttt" and he gets his voice right and high, almost like crying out at a lonely moon. I can't get it. This song will work for you - you can. Nice job and thanks for doing it. You and some others here have turned me on to quite a bit of stuff I never thought of or heard of. I am glad you liked this song.

Agreed on this song. I heard it myself around 1991-92 and was transfixed by how Hiatt does that octave jump. The only one better in technical terms might be Sam Moore's octave jump in the original version of San & Dave's "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down," a song Elvis Costello turned into a high-speed chase.

What I love about IBH is how the guitar jangles in loneliness and those lines of "Girl, you're a beauty like I've never witnessed, and I've seen the Northern Lights dancing on air."

Archived