Gibson Brands Forums

I may have an Emperor Regent (Peerless) coming

barrymclark

Waiting for it to arrive so I can assess the "crack" (in quotes) is a little unnerving. But hey, $200 is cheap even if it's a REAL crack and needs to be repaired and the neck oversprayed. If it's just in the finish I will use hot superglue and wet sand/buff. I'll fill the extra tuner holes while I'm there. I want to make the best of it and clean it up as much as possible in the event I pull the trigger on the Heritage. My guitar funds will take a serious hit if I do buy it and I will be looking to flip some stuff to take up the slack. If I don't go for the Heritage I will at least have a good quality jazz box in the Epi.

I did own an '86 GE and I liked some things and disliked others. One thing that irked me was the squared off flattish frets. Maybe that was just the particular guitar.

Understood. Frets are a personal thing. Who knows... maybe the GE will be in need a fret replacement and you can get the type you like and have the ends treated the way you want. :)

I did 'catch and release'. It's boxed and waiting for me to take it to the post office.

I love Emperors and I will have another (unless I blow the bank account on the Eagle). This one was smooth and sleek and played great once I cleaned up about a pound of grunge, sweat, crust, beer, and other stains I don't want to know about. There were too many repairs, too much alteration, etc, for me to ever be happy with it. Rather than spend $200 on one with warts and stuff, I would rather pay $550 or so for a tuxedo-clean one with HSC.

Funny how that works. If it were an ES-175 or such, I would either ignore the warts or spend whatever time and money necessary to erase them. But when super clean examples of a guitar can be bought readily and relatively cheaply, I'd rather go for a shiny one.

Not saying it's right, just saying it 'is'.

I cleaned up about a pound of grunge, sweat, crust, beer, and other stains I don't want to know about. There were too many repairs, too much alteration, etc, for me to ever be happy with it.

Always interesting to discover how much doesn't show up in pictures.

Or to realize that what you already have beats it by a mile!

Yep. You can see the rosewood plugs between the 12th and 13th frets now that I point them out. Wasn't so obvious before, was it?

I did clean it up a lot and I'm sure the new owner will be happy. I basically sold it to break even.

What a bunch of ick though. How does a guitar get so disgusting?

Archived