Gibson Brands Forums

J 45 maple edition demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Thanks for sharing. A J-45 with maple is a unique combination: the crisp, forward sound and attack of maple with the inherent qualities of the short-scale J-45. Fairly uncommon, so it's not very often two of them show up (currently on eBay) at the same time.

Have to follow up JCV's demo clip with Russ Barenberg's 1940's (most likely laminate) maple J-45 in action helping to make some fine sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8cFuxnaTpY

I have short-scale maple Advanced Jumbo. I don't know how that Limited Edition J-45 in the video is braced, but mine has the Advanced Jumbo/J-45 TV's wider x-bracing, but also the AJ's wider and lower back bracing. In other words, an almost-J-45 TV in maple. The neck's a tad wider, though, and it's got the famous AJ inlays, of course. The maple is flamed like the Limited Edition being discussed, but the finish is sunburst and amber.

It sounds more (but not exactly like) like the guitar in the Russ Barrenburg video (not that my playing anywhere near approaches his).

I wish Gibson had followed through with J.T.'s Banner project; I would have been very interested in a recreation of a war-time maple J-45. I'm pretty happy with my short-scale maple AJ, though. It sounds pretty close.

Red 333

The Banner Head maple J45 is everything a good guitar is not suppose to be. Laminated back and sides, thick top, heavy bracing, thick finish. amazing what the maple did in those guitars. The new red one in that clip sounds pretty good too.

Archived