Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing tuners

Tman

I want to replace a Gibson deluxe 3X3 set of Kluson style tuners from a 1980 J-50 with Tone pros Kluson tuners. Can anyone tell me whether I need push in or screw in bushings? I emailed TonePros twice and haven't heard from them and I understand they are not making Kluson style tuners anymore from their website (big bummer as I think they are the best).

I understand push in vs screw in have different hole sizes (please correct me if I am wrong). I am assuming that they need to be vintage style replacements with push in bushings but I'll be damned if I can find that info after internet searching.

Thanks for any help, Phil

I believe ALL Klusons are press-fit bushings.

FYI - "Kluson" is a trademark product of WD Music Products (Tone Pros is just another one of their brands), and as far as I know most styles are still available.

If you're replacing Kluson "style" with Kluson "brand", you may be able to just leave the existing bushings in place.

I believe ALL Klusons are press-fit bushings.

FYI - "Kluson" is a trademark product of WD Music Products (Tone Pros is just another one of their brands), and as far as I know most styles are still available.

If you're replacing Kluson "style" with Kluson "brand", you may be able to just leave the existing bushings in place.

Thanks very much. From what I've found you are correct that are are press fit. Unfortunately, TonePros doesn't make a press fit replacement with a metal keystone button which is the original that it has on there. Looks like I may have to do a bit of altering to get one that looks just like the originals but is screw on.

Looks like push in bushings. The interesting thing I don't know, but I think is really cool, is that the casing for the back of the tuner has Gibson embossed on it. It reminds me of the embossed humbuckers of 71! If I replace the tuners, which I think I will as these are fairly shot, I gotta find a way to keep the back.

btw those aren't scratches on the headstock face, just reflections.

8c5fc7ba-2e34-4d68-a844-f00aed685dc2_zpshh51snt8.jpg 02853931-c3ab-41c7-9d79-1b674e6b7539_zpszlyn6seg.jpg

Looks like push in bushings. The interesting thing I don't know, but I think is really cool, is that the casing for the back of the tuner has Gibson embossed on it. It reminds me of the embossed humbuckers of 71! If I replace the tuners, which I think I will as these are fairly shot, I gotta find a way to keep the back.

btw those aren't scratches on the headstock face, just reflections.

8c5fc7ba-2e34-4d68-a844-f00aed685dc2_zpshh51snt8.jpg 02853931-c3ab-41c7-9d79-1b674e6b7539_zpszlyn6seg.jpg

These here would get you to the tulip style pressed in bushing type tuners but the back is not what you're looking for but in the event you have to make a trade off they'll keep you pretty close to the original look.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Guitar_and_Solid_Peghead/Kluson_Waffleback_Guitar_Machines.html

These here would get you to the tulip style pressed in bushing type tuners but the back is not what you're looking for but in the event you have to make a trade off they'll keep you pretty close to the original look.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Guitar_and_Solid_Peghead/Kluson_Waffleback_Guitar_Machines.html

Very cool thanks! These look great. I've been stuck on TonePros but these look really nice.

Archived