Gibson Brands Forums

What body wood on black 58 Epi Vs?

Bunky

• 1 month later...

The epiphone 58 v home page states the body and neck are mahogany, but then the page on the body states the body is Korina. There are many forums asking this question and a number of interpretations. I am happy to accept the answer but it would be nice for Epiphone to fix their home page and provide clarification.

There was a short run from 2002-2003 that were laminated mahogany/alder. The rest of them should be Korina with the exception of the '58 Goth, which is Mahogany.

The epiphone 58 v home page states the body and neck are mahogany, but then the page on the body states the body is Korina. There are many forums asking this question and a number of interpretations. I am happy to accept the answer but it would be nice for Epiphone to fix their oafs of privde clarification.

All of the "Korina" Epiphones I've seen (maybe half a dozen or so) were made of Asian mahogany with a thin Korina veneer front and back. If they are in an opaque finish that renders the grain invisible, I can't imagine why they'd bother with the Korina veneer. Even Gibson's "Black Beauty" Les Pauls skipped the maple cap and went with straight mahogany.

All of the "Korina" Epiphones I've seen (maybe half a dozen or so) were made of Asian mahogany with a thin Korina veneer front and back. If they are in an opaque finish that renders the grain invisible, I can't imagine why they'd bother with the Korina veneer. Even Gibson's "Black Beauty" Les Pauls skipped the maple cap and went with straight mahogany.

This is correct. I will second your findings. I almost jumped on an used Epiphone "Korina" Flying V, so I did a lot of research at the time.

Archived