Gibson Brands Forums

my Epiphone Dot has a 16 fretboard radius.....

overture1922

[thumbdn]

According to the webpage, this model has to be 12 radius, but mine is not. I feel uncomfortable to do barre chords due to the flat fretboard. Since I bought it used on ebay, Gibson Support told me that it´s is not of her business, so If I want I have to fix it for myself. It is used but it has no modifications. It´s serial number is 1104126122. [thumbdn]

[thumbdn]

According to the webpage, this model has to be 12 radius, but mine is not. I feel uncomfortable to do barre chords due to the flat fretboard. Since I bought it used on ebay, Gibson Support told me that it´s is not of her business, so If I want I have to fix it for myself. It is used but it has no modifications. It´s serial number is 1104126122. [thumbdn]

maybe the spec has changed since your's was made?

[thumbdn]

Take it to any guitar shop and use a radius gauge and settle the issue, I highly doubt that it's a 16" radius.

It probably is the "SlimTaper 'D' Profile" neck that's feeling strange. I have an ES339 Pro that has the same neck specs as yours and it took several practice sessions to accustom my grip to it after playing slim C shape necks for years and years.

If, after a couple of weeks you still haven't gotten comfortable on it, the D neck shape may not be for you.

Personally, now that I'm used to it, it's a nice change-up from my C profiles and it definitely adds to my Epi's personality, I like it! [cool]

Where are my manners? ....Welcome to the forums, overture1922. I hope we can give some insight into any of your guitar issues. Lots of great info and good folks here! [biggrin]

Take it to any guitar shop and use a radius gauge and settle the issue, I highly doubt that it's a 16" radius.

It probably is the "SlimTaper 'D' Profile" neck that's feeling strange. I have an ES339 Pro that has the same neck specs as yours and it took several practice sessions to accustom my grip to it after playing slim C shape necks for years and years.

If, after a couple of weeks you still haven't gotten comfortable on it, the D neck shape may not be for you.

Personally, now that I'm used to it, it's a nice change-up from my C profiles and it definitely adds to my Epi's personality, I like it! [cool]

Where are my manners? ....Welcome to the forums, overture1922. I hope we can give some insight into any of your guitar issues. Lots of great info and good folks here! [biggrin]

I´m sure it´s 16 because I measured with my Radius gauge. Also, I have an Ibanez Archtop with 12 radius.

I´m sure it´s 16 because I measured with my Radius gauge. Also, I have an Ibanez Archtop with 12 radius.

OK. Well then, no need for previous post.

If you had mentioned the gauge use, I more than likely would have accepted your statement as completely factual and saved a rather long response.

Hope you come upon the answer to your dilemma. It certainly doesn't seem likely that the current neck radius will be pleasing for you, being that uncomfortable doing common chords and you already being used to your acoustic's 12" radius.

This issue is not an everyday problem, and thus, interesting. Please keep us updated on any further info or resolution, thanks. [cool]

OK. Well then, no need for previous post.

If you had mentioned the gauge use, I more than likely would have accepted your statement as completely factual and saved a rather long response.

Hope you come upon the answer to your dilemma. It certainly doesn't seem likely that the current neck radius will be pleasing for you, being that uncomfortable doing common chords and you already being used to your 12" radius.

This issue is not an everyday problem, and thus, interesting. Please keep us updated on any further info or resolution, thanks. [cool]

Thnaks for answering! The only way to fix it is to remove the frets and sand the fretboard to a 12 radius. It does not worth, since it is a cheap guitar. The support of gibson said that they are not responsable because I bought it used......the fact is that this guitar came out from the factory with 16 radius...it is not a problem due to it´s use

Thnaks for answering! The only way to fix it is to remove the frets and sand the fretboard to a 12 radius. It does not worth, since it is a cheap guitar. The support of gibson said that they are not responsable because I bought it used......the fact is that this guitar came out from the factory with 16 radius...it is not a problem due to it´s use

Yup, this is an odd one. I don't know of ANY Epiphone electric that is 16" radius.

Plus, as you say, it's not worth the cost to return it to 12", BUT, that also means that it wasn't worth someone's cost to do this in the first place.

So, if it came from the factory as is, why wouldn't the original owner have gotten a warrantied replacement or simply returned the guitar?.....Strange!

Or you could just sell your guitar and get one with a proper 12 radius.

Or you could just sell your guitar and get one with a proper 12 radius.

Very true, deeman. I think the op's original intent was to see if anyone could shed some light on this 16" radius from Hell!

[thumbdn]

Wow, I would love a 16" radius fingerboard on a a guitar like that.

My classical has a very flat fingerboard and my Jackson Soloist has a compound 12 to 16 radii.

It does seem very odd. Thats not an easy modification (if it is a modification).

Its a shame you are having trouble with it. Its true that a tighter radius benefits chords. Flat fingerboards are great for soloing though.

Archived