Gibson Brands Forums

Talking of mandolins

blindboygrunt

Don't know but it is a bowl back which is generally not favored near as much as a flat back mandolin.

If you want a really good, not too expensive mandolin look at the Strad-O-Lins - the old ones - not the later Made in Korea versions which have nothing in common with the U.S, instruments other than the name. Nobody is even sure who made them but they are so good story is even Bill Monroe kept one around.

Here is mine. Made in 1940 and the style of the logo shows it to be a near the top of the food chain model. Paid $325 for it. Note the distinctive segmented f-holes.

Strad-O-lin1-1.jpg

A little hard to play with no bridge, I would imagine. I remember buying one similar to this for a dollar or so, just to hang on the wall. Then I figured out that it was hard to hang on a wall, unless you wanted to look at the back. I've always thought bowl-backed mandolins looked like turtles, not that I have anything against turtles.

All joking aside, vintage mandolins are like vintage guitars: you need to know what you are looking at to know if it is a novelty, or a treasure. I don't know what I'm looking at, unless it's a Gibson with a Loar-era label inside. This ain't one of those.

I've owned quite a few mandolins over the years, and personally I'd recommend not spending your time or money on an old bowlback. The inexpensive Asian instruments can be a very reasonable way to break into the world of mandolins, just like in the world of guitars. Washburn in particular has a nice solid-topped oval-hole model with a scroll peghead that goes for $199 or less on sale, and many of these sound darn good.

If you get serious about it & someday want to go vintage, many of the early Gibson A-style oval hole mandolins have held up extremely well. A good one can be highly playable with a fine & balanced tone (not your typical bluegrass chop-chop). Pricing is often quite reasonable. I've owned two of these, and will not be parting with my current '22 "A" from the Loar era.

Echoing Nick, do your homework & be armed with knowledge. Mandolin Café is an excellent source of mando info.

Happy hunting!

Archived